easier way to drain ATF fluid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easier way to drain ATF fluid.

I'm sure I once read on here that when draining ATF from sump, you drain the sump, then you can start engine, go through all gears, then stop engine. This will drain torque converter fluid into sump, allowing you to replace more fluid in one go.
    Did I just dream this?? Cant seem to find the post anywhere.
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

You need two buckets, one has to be spotlessly clean as it will need to be filled with new fluid.

Drain as much as you can from the sump then clean and replace the drain bolt.

Pull off the driver's side ATF hose from the bottom of the radiator and let dangle into one of the buckets.
    Pull off the passenger side ATF hose from the radiator and let dangle into the clean bucket that is filled with new transmission fluid.

Start engine and let the transmission's fluid pump do the work. Old fluid will go into the driver's side bucket and new fluid will be sucked up from the clean bucket.
    Switch off engine when the new fluid emerges from the driver's side hose.

Comment

You will need around 30lts of ATF to do it properly.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
        Jesus, I picked up a 1 litre bottle thinking I'd change mine sometime!

How much does just a sump plug release need?
        If I like it, Bushwhacker doesn't. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          You need two buckets, one has to be spotlessly clean as it will need to be filled with new fluid.

Drain as much as you can from the sump then clean and replace the drain bolt.

Pull off the driver's side ATF hose from the bottom of the radiator and let dangle into one of the buckets.
          Pull off the passenger side ATF hose from the radiator and let dangle into the clean bucket that is filled with new transmission fluid.

Start engine and let the transmission's fluid pump do the work. Old fluid will go into the driver's side bucket and new fluid will be sucked up from the clean bucket.
          Switch off engine when the new fluid emerges from the driver's side hose.
          I did this, but without draining the sump plug..

I pulled both hoses off and dangled in buckets etc only pumped a few L out and then did nothing had to top up from dipstick tube gave up

Did i go wrong by notmdraining the sump first..? Just didnt want to suck new stuff in...!!

Comment

Originally posted by Benross View Post
            Jesus, I picked up a 1 litre bottle thinking I'd change mine sometime!

How much does just a sump plug release need?
            Roundabout 5 litres .............

11+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
              Roundabout 5 litres .............
              So if I got this from rough trax http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=832&vid=1586

I'd need 30 bottles at a cost of £179.70 plus delivery!

Mental, where would you buy 30 litres of the stuff from then?
              If I like it, Bushwhacker doesn't. :-)

Comment

Motor factors in a five gallon drum!

Comment

Originally posted by Benross View Post
                  So if I got this from rough trax http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=832&vid=1586

I'd need 30 bottles at a cost of £179.70 plus delivery!

Mental, where would you buy 30 litres of the stuff from then?
                  Hi, it's a lot of money to completely dry and refill,I guress you could do a sump dry only and after a few times you 'd have fairly new ATF. But why would you want to? If your ATF is nice and red and the transmission is smooth, I wouldn't bother. We have an auto rav 4 that shifts trough the gears like a dream, had it for years, atf is nice and red, I don't really see the point to be honest with you. Save the dosh for the better red stuff: bejulais, merlot....However you spell them!

Comment

Can anyone help with where i went wrog? I simply stuck hoses in appropiate buckets and ran engine. ..!! To no availl. Pped out about 3 l and didnt suck any in

Comment

Originally posted by Jameswallace View Post
                      Can anyone help with where i went wrog? I simply stuck hoses in appropiate buckets and ran engine. ..!! To no availl. Pped out about 3 l and didnt suck any in
                      Because it won't suck, the transmission cooler pipes are pumped from the box as a bleed off at about 7 to 14 psi once you disconnect the pressure side that's it there is no suction on the return.
                      ionic SURFactant

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                        30 of these at this rate = £105
                        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Automatic-...Vehicle_Oils_L

or Bulk buy n save a few more spon dooles ....

11+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
                        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Maybe its me....but would it not have been easier and cheaper to drain the sump, refill and drive it for a week and drain again? For as many times as you fancy...

Comment

I once filled my gearbox with water wading without breathers
                            i try the two buckets method to flush the atf but it was not drawing the new atf in, so i used an inline pump i had lying around the workshop to pump the new stuff in.
                            the gearbox survived but it took around 35 litres untill the stuff coming out looked clean.
                            lesson learnt breathers fitted cant afford to do that again!!!

if your atf does not look like muddy water i wouldnt recommend it

Comment

So the 2 bucket method is a load of ######## then? I just tried & as james wallace says it is doing #### all.

Comment

Working...
                              X