Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 Overheating - A happy ending!

Hi everyone

I recently acquired my first surf, a gen2 2.4 auto ssr-g. Imagine my horror when climbing the first steep hill the temp gauge shot up into the red. Naturally I thought the worst but not knowing the history of the vehicle resigned myself to a week or two of meddling with the cooling system before buying a new head.

Anyway to cut a long story short, turns out it was a bad earth problem. As the temp rose slightly whilst climbing the electric fan cut in causing the gauge to falsely rise significantly. My reaction to this was to panic and turn the heater on full, the additional electrical load of the heater fan then drove the temp gauge right into the red.

Replacing the broken earth at the os battery has solved all these symptoms and also the rev counter no longer flicks when you press the brake although the voltmeter still flicks slightly in time to the indicators! Will keep looking for another poor earth.

It would have taken far longer to solve this without the info on this forum so thanks to everyone who has contributed in the past

Jon
Working...
X