Safari Preparation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safari Preparation

Ok folks, as mentioned in a previous post, I am moving to Zambia for volunteer work in October. I have a surf kzn185 in Tanzania and will have a couple of weeks to ready it for the drive to Zambia. What would you recommend to upgrade the truck a wee bit. Looking for range, reliability and hopefully on-board accommodation from time to time.

Take a spare fuel pump and ECU, everything else can be sourced/repaired more easily.

Comment

Thanks for that vince, Is there any place you would recommend to buy those parts. Was thinking service parts belts, filters e.t.c. but everything I buy eats into baggage allowance and as you say a lot of stuff is available out there as Toyota is king. Looking into getting an aux. tank fabricated for spare wheel area. There is guy in Tanzania looking into that for me. We will be based minimum of 200k's from an unreliable fuel station.

Comment

Originally posted by Drak View Post
        Thanks for that vince, Is there any place you would recommend to buy those parts. Was thinking service parts belts, filters e.t.c. but everything I buy eats into baggage allowance and as you say a lot of stuff is available out there as Toyota is king. Looking into getting an aux. tank fabricated for spare wheel area. There is guy in Tanzania looking into that for me. We will be based minimum of 200k's from an unreliable fuel station.
        Hi, I would advise you also buy quite a few quality parts from roughtrax ol milners, stuff that over here is not thay easy to find. You're right that Toyota is king but main delaers in Lusaka charge top dollar, don't forget that parts here incur 100% import duty, and so do cars. That's why you can easily pay 10000 USD for a 3rd Gen! If you dnt buy original the choice is meager, mostly cheap Chinese parts or even cheaper Nigerian parts. Sooo...if your bagagge allowance allows you to, bring with you the timing belt kit(with pulley and tensioner), all auxiliary belts(alternator etc) and a cple of nice radiator caps. Also take a thermostat with you. As the surfs arrive form Jap the importers often routinely remove the stats.
        You will be driving on heavily corrugated tracks most of time, make sure your shocks are ok.If not over here you can source Gabriel Safari shocks, they're fairly cheap and do the Job.Sproings are either extremely expensive from Toyota or non existent. I imported a set of rear roughtrax springs a few months ago with a courier, at a huge cost...if you have a container or similar stick a set of rear. 3rd Gen springs from rtrax or milners. You won't regret it. All surfs here sag, and once ur loaded up for travel you'll start hitting the rubber stopper things on your rear axle. It would be good to take bushes with you, ARB ones etc. Not poly ones, but original toyota ones. Much softer and suitable for these roads and will last forever.The rubber bit in the autobox mounting of surfs here often gets badly worn so if you can afford the weight take a spare mounting with you, main dealer here will charge a fortune. Quality filters (Fram or GUD) are widely available here, and so are oil and coolant, so you don't need to worry about those. If you can't get the aux tank fitted in Lusaka the nearest place will probably be Harare or Bulawayo in Zim. Also some jerrycans, you'll be able to source them there. If your out towards Chipata and the Malawi border, let me know, I can point you to an excellent mechanic, Belgian guy, in Mzuzu, who loves surfs and has worked on them for years. He'll service it and do whatever it needs. Very reasonable charges. Don't buy diesel from street vendors coz often its mixed with paraffin and water to make it go further, it'll bugger your injectors and all the rest. Many travellers have been stung! Change the fuel filter at every service(5000 km) as diesel here is filthy, even from the pump.
        That's all I can think of for now, happy travelling!!
        Last edited by tashtego; 5 August 2013, 16:03.

Comment

Thanks Fabrizio,

I am only a month back from Tanzania and have just changed all the belts/ timing included. Also I have gone through all the rear bushes and changed the diff pinion bearing. Will defo have to consider springs as I am getting a tank fabricated for the space under the rear of car which will add to weight in the rear. Will collect thermostat, radiator caps, belts and stuff before I go then. was recommended by Vince to take a fuel pump and ecu. Are they things that could be sourced out in Lusaka or should I think about getting them here.
          Considering also roof rack. possibly roof tent but not decided yet. What tyres do you recommend as I am Going to pick up two or more spare steel wheels?
          Other than that the truck is tip top, only missing a rear cup holder and ash tray cover. Unusually for me I think I have bought a decent vehicle no major faults, that said it is my first Toyota. It took me on an excellent safari to Moshi, Arusha and down to Dodoma on a nine hour off-road trip/ washed out roads and bridges.
          thanks for the local knowledge, I have only spent seven months in Tz and the rest of my african time in Congo/Liberia.
          Last edited by Drak; 7 August 2013, 21:26.

Comment

Thanks Fabrizio,

I am only a month back from Tanzania and have just changed all the belts/ timing included. Also I have gone through all the rear bushes and changed the diff pinion bearing. Will defo have to consider springs as I am getting a tank fabricated for the space under the rear of car which will add to weight in the rear. Will collect thermostat, radiator caps, belts and stuff before I go then. was recommended by Vince to take a fuel pump and ecu. Are they things that could be sourced out in Lusaka or should I think about getting them here.
            Considering also roof rack. possibly roof tent but not decided yet. What tyres do you recommend as I am Going to pick up two or more spare steel wheels?
            Other than that the truck is tip top, only missing a rear cup holder and ash tray cover. Unusually for me I think I have bought a decent vehicle no major faults, that said it is my first Toyota. It took me on an excellent safari to Moshi, Arusha and down to Dodoma on a nine hour off-road trip/ washed out roads and bridges.
            thanks for the local knowledge, I have only spent seven months in Tz and the rest of my african time in Congo/Liberia.
            Sounds like you've got yourself a very decent 3rd Gen

FUEL PUMP: the kzte is very common here, used on the hilux pickups (the last but one model, before the D4D), so recon fuel pumps or from breakers shouldn't be a problem ( I think the diesel pump is the same for all kzte engines, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

ECU: I think this is specific to each surf model, so maybe would be prudent to bring one over (ebay, breakers? Some forum members?) There are plenty 3rd Gens here so you could probably find one from a breakers yard over here...I've never heard of anyone having ECU problems here, but youy never know...

TYRES: These depend on the location of your project. If very rural, the rainy season (nov to april) could make it very muddy, so you mite have to go for mud tyres. I would keep whatever tyres youv got on and then assess the terrain. You'll find all the main brands and sizes in Lusaka no problem. I run General Grabber AW coz I'm mostly driving on tarmac. In the dry season if driving on corrugation I let the pressure down a tad for comfort and to minimize strain on the suspension. At least that's what the "experts" tell me to do.

ROOF RACK: steel fabricators/welders in Lusaka will make one no probs. However they aren't cheap so if you have a container coming down you mite want to buy one in UK and bring it over, and save yourself a few kwachas!
            Cheers

Comment

I hav ea full spare 1KZ engine, with ecu, wiring, teh lot... low miles too
              More Lift.
              More Tyres.
              More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
                I hav ea full spare 1KZ engine, with ecu, wiring, teh lot... low miles too
                That's great Charlie,

are you happy to separate the ecu and fuel pump from the lump? If so what sort of price you hoping for?
                Last edited by Drak; 9 August 2013, 19:23.

Comment

It seems to be difficult to arrange from here to have a a tank fabricated for my truck so am preparing for a contingency plan of many Cans in the back or on the rack. Approx 100kg going in the back as well as stuff. Any recommendations for spring and shock set up? (factory set at the moment and slightly sagging on drivers side.) especially as I need to balance it out with driving long distances.

Comment

It seems to be difficult to arrange from here to have a a tank fabricated for my truck so am preparing for a contingency plan of many Cans in the back or on the rack. Approx 100kg going in the back as well as stuff. Any recommendations for spring and shock set up? (factory set at the moment and slightly sagging on drivers side.) especially as I need to balance it out with driving long distances.

Hi, shame about the tank, you'll be able to sort once u get there. As for shocks springs set up, see my previous post ( bring standard Roughtrax rear springs and couple them with Gabriel Safari shocks, which you'll be able to buy in Lusaka). Best cure for saggy a**e here in SouthernAFrica. Otherwise you could buy yhe whole OME ( old man emu) set up, but might cost you as much as the surf itself... Ciao!

Comment

Where in Zambia are you going to be based? I am in Livingstone and there are 5 of us running Surfs at the NGO I work for. I had to source a new ECU last year due only to the fact that the windscreen wasn't properly sealed and the ECU got wet over the rainy season. Besides that, I have never heard about them having issues. If you do find one here, it will be about 4 times the cost of one in the UK.

if you end up near Livingstone, I have a contact that has fabricated roof racks and tow bars for a number of our vehicles at a very reasonable price.

In terms of tyres, I purchased 5 Good Year Wrangler ATSAs for just under $1,000. A friend of mine just picked up 5 Deestone Mud Clawers for $1,300 in Katima Mulilo, Mamibia. They are super aggressive and have a similar tread pattern to the Cooper Discover STT, but are about half the cost. Personally I would go for the BF Goodrich All-Terrains if I had the cash.

Hope that helps. Let me know of you end up near Livingstone.

Comment

Originally posted by Limpo View Post
                        Where in Zambia are you going to be based? I am in Livingstone and there are 5 of us running Surfs at the NGO I work for. I had to source a new ECU last year due only to the fact that the windscreen wasn't properly sealed and the ECU got wet over the rainy season. Besides that, I have never heard about them having issues. If you do find one here, it will be about 4 times the cost of one in the UK.

if you end up near Livingstone, I have a contact that has fabricated roof racks and tow bars for a number of our vehicles at a very reasonable price.

In terms of tyres, I purchased 5 Good Year Wrangler ATSAs for just under $1,000. A friend of mine just picked up 5 Deestone Mud Clawers for $1,300 in Katima Mulilo, Mamibia. They are super aggressive and have a similar tread pattern to the Cooper Discover STT, but are about half the cost. Personally I would go for the BF Goodrich All-Terrains if I had the cash.

Hope that helps. Let me know of you end up near Livingstone.

Hi There Joe,

Will certainly visit Victoria falls while in Zambia. First port of call in Zambia will be Lusaka, but then moving on to Kabompo in the North West. Would be great to get car sorted out in first couple of weeks there. Do you have a contact for springs and shocks there in Livingstone? The springs are just a bridge too far in our baggage allowance.

Comment

Hi There Joe,

Will certainly visit Victoria falls while in Zambia. First port of call in Zambia will be Lusaka, but then moving on to Kabompo in the North West. Would be great to get car sorted out in first couple of weeks there. Do you have a contact for springs and shocks there in Livingstone? The springs are just a bridge too far in our baggage allowance.
                          Finding anything for Surfs if bleak in Livingstone. Not sure about Lusaka either. At our organization we pretty much buy all our suspension components in South Africa, the UK or the US depending on the vehicle and price. I spent an entire day in Lusaka last year attempting to find a radiator for my 2nd gen either new, used or aftermarket, to no avail. If you are going to be near Livingstone and need an address to send stuff to and pick up when you get here, send me an email to joe (at) overlandmissions (dot) com. Also let me know if you need a place to pitch a tent. We have free camping at our base, and are located on the lower Zambezi gorge. Enjoy your travels.

Comment

Definitely if you needed a rad you would have to go for an original Toyota one, dear but worth it. For the springs you could also go for the toyota ones, depending on your budget. When i enquired with Toyota they said they could order from Japan the "africa spec" ones, basicalyy they are normal toyota springs that fit the 3rd Gen and the Prado, but with bigger diameter coil, hence stiffer. He even gave me the part number,so they are definitely available as a last resort, and orders from japan are surprisingly quick, 30 days max. However I imported mine with roughtrax, which was expansive but still less than half of the cost of the original toyota. Basically, buy the roughtrtax springs(normal ones, not 2" lift, unless your planning to lift the front too), then Barry will mention a few couriers that they know. Go online and get the courier to pick up the springs from Bristol and deliver them to an address in Dar, or Dodoma, or whichever big city your surf is in. When the springs arrive customs will phone that address, asking you, or whoever is there, to go and pick them up and pay duty. Mine didn't take long, dnt remember the total cost exactly, I think £ 80 courier, or similar, plus duty, depending on what the official feels like on the day, and if your willing to buy him a "drink"... The courier will give you an online tracking number so you can check progress.
                            Still cheaper than original ones and I'm really happy with the ride and the way the car sits. Then new rear gabriel shocks, you can get those here, no problem.
                            Hope that helps
                            Last edited by tashtego; 29 August 2013, 07:56.

Comment

Working...
                            X