Relative top speed...??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relative top speed...??

I forgot to ask - what is the considered Safe, continuous top speed - i do a fair bit of motorway driving.......
    Fuel mpg will drop - i know, wear and tear - i know and YES not built for speed - just b4 you all chuck that at me (sure i missed something).
    so what do you 2.4 people say.......???

*do i need to say - be gentle with me...........*

Our 2.4 happily cruises at 70-75 with light enough throttle to keep the turbo light off. Since fitting the 31" M/T's, you need to get in the throttle a little more, especially on inclines but it'll still does 80 comfortably without killing the MPG.

The 3.0 will do 80 all day long, and still 300miles from a tankful, infact you have keep backing off as it likes to creep up to 90 without you noticing!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

my 3.0 cruises at 95 no problem - although as you already mentioned it does get a bit thirsty.

Regards,

alex

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        Our 2.4 happily cruises at 70-75 with light enough throttle to keep the turbo light off. Since fitting the 31" M/T's, you need to get in the throttle a little more, especially on inclines but it'll still does 80 comfortably without killing the MPG.

The 3.0 will do 80 all day long, and still 300miles from a tankful, infact you have keep backing off as it likes to creep up to 90 without you noticing!

or 100 or 110......
        Last edited by Linda; 6 September 2004, 07:39.
        Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Ours cruises at 80 quite happily. Yesterday i followed my wife who was driving the surf and i was on my bike, she was cruising (according to my bike speedo) at 90 and reckons she wasnt thrashing it?????
          Bear in mind that if you have 31" tyres fitted the speedo will read lower than actual speed so if it says 80 you are probably doing 90.
          Also listen/look at the revs, mine seems comfortable to cruise at 3-3400 rpm which is about 75-80 mph on the speedo.
          If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
          I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

whoaaaaa there !!! i'm confused now, what's this about going faster with 31" fitted - hope it's not a straight forward / common sense thing here cos' i'm gonna look daft
            [SIZE=5]ANDY[/SIZE]

[U]HOLMESDALE EAGLES[/U]

Comment

Originally posted by thechaddyboy
              whoaaaaa there !!! i'm confused now, what's this about going faster with 31" fitted - hope it's not a straight forward / common sense thing here cos' i'm gonna look daft
              Basically, 31" tyres have a bigger circumference than standard tyres, so for each revolution they take you further. As the speedo is calibrated to work out your speed by measuring how many revolutions the wheels have travelled, the end result is that it will underestimate the speed when you put bigger wheels on.
              Paul </Slugsie>
              Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by thechaddyboy
                31 inch tyres are larger diameter than the standard tyres which are 265 / 70 / 15 and are around 29.6 inch diameter. Therefore each rev of the engine / transmission takes you further. As the speedo is worked from the gearbox and therfore senses the speed from the known gear ratio and the amount of revolutions of the output shaft of the gearbox, it actually thinks you are going a certain distance for each revolution when in fact you are moving further for each rev.

My speedo is actually more acurate now with 31s on than it was with 265s on. I was reading about 10% over (doing 40 on the gauge but actually doing 36) and now reads about 5% over - i.e. showing 40 and doing 38.

Cheers

Comment

after extensive calculations i have found that 49.7 mph is the safest, most economical speed so i never go over that now!

come on! you've all passed driving tests and should have enough experience on what's good and what's not!... it's not rocket science... 100mph uses more fuel and you risk losing your license... 70mph is the maximum allowed on the motorway and should be well within the acceptable mpg.

check the speed rating of your tyres if you're gonna be doing a lot of high speed as some i.e. colway remoulds are only 100mph and others may be more load bearing than "speed" tyres

sometimes i'm quite happy to do 60 on the motorway, and sometimes i do more.
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                    100mph uses more fuel and you risk losing your license...
                    Nice thing about IOM - no speed limits outside the towns... the Bullet could really fly with no risk to the old licence at all!!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

My 3ltr KZN185 will cruize happily all day at 95-100 mph (on a private road of course) The 2.4 I used to have would cruise at 80mph until you reached a hill and would then struggle.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN

infact you have keep backing off as it likes to creep up to 90
                        rubbish LINDA tell him. WOTS 80
                        Enjoying Life after Cancer
                        Pops

Comment

Working...
                        X