The surf is dead. Again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
    I'm guessing an intermittent short that became consistent.
    We'll probably never know, doesn't take much to stick the terminals of the solenoid together, some age and some arcing....a jammed starter and you'll get max current draw till the battery dies....lots of gassing and lots of heat.

could be completely wrong of course!

I'd love to take it apart and find out if i could, got to love a good puzzle, tragic though it is for Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
      We'll probably never know, doesn't take much to stick the terminals of the solenoid together, some age and some arcing....a jammed starter and you'll get max current draw till the battery dies....lots of gassing and lots of heat.

could be completely wrong of course!

I'd love to take it apart and find out if i could, got to love a good puzzle, tragic though it is for Rob.
      My money is on the battery not being secured.
      See post#9
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

It was secured just the bracket has mostly dissolved. It was a lower amp than the other battery.

The insurance collected it today anyway. They asked to collect it and within half an hour of putting the phone down a truck arrived.

Comment

blimey that was quick....

Comment

I know. I usually have to wait 2 hours at least for the RAC.

Comment

Hopefully they will get returned in pristine condition, with only the excess to pay or they write it off and give you a fair price for the vehicle and you get the option to buy it back at a low price.
              I would be toting up my shopping list now;
              Grille headlight side light, coolant hoses, fuel hoses, engine bay wiring loom, battery and tie down strap.......
              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I very much doubt they will fix it. There small print says I can have the car back minus 20% of the payout so I stand to make good money if I strip it but its deciding if I want to revive it a second time.

Comment

That, ultimately, will be entirely down to you.
                  Do you have the space/time to strip down and sell?
                  IMHO I would be looking at getting it back on the road, especially after investing all the effort involved in your original repair.
                  Which ever route you do take, I would get the whole engine area steam cleaned so you can see the full extent of the damage.
                  Good luck.
                  Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Well I stand to get a lot back stripping although it would take longer than the repair. I can take the steam cleaner from work to clean it up if the garage have not already done so.

All I can do for now is wait but everyones comments and advice have been helpful.

Comment

I feel your pain.
                      When I was a bit younger I watched my Zed turn into a charred mess in a most unpheonix like manner.
                      Gutted.
                      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I regret claiming now in all honesty. Lost my NCB and I'm going to get shagged if I want to insure it as a declared write-off.

I was trying to buy a £200 tax and tested rat just for now but i was looking at around £1700 for a little hatchback.

I am having to drag the Shogun kicking and screaming through an MOT in short notice now to pay another £250 more than the surf. Which has overheating problems (probably head) to add on top.

Comment

Going from bad to worse a bit there....

Comment

Holy crap rob I'm gutted for you mate, only just come back on the forum from being away & first thread I see is this.

I was hoping when I saw the title that you were having starting problems but wasn't expecting to see that.
                            If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob5464 View Post
                              I regret claiming now in all honesty. Lost my NCB and I'm going to get shagged if I want to insure it as a declared write-off.

I was trying to buy a £200 tax and tested rat just for now but i was looking at around £1700 for a little hatchback.

I am having to drag the Shogun kicking and screaming through an MOT in short notice now to pay another £250 more than the surf. Which has overheating problems (probably head) to add on top.
                              It's not a write off, it is classed as an insurance total loss and logged as Cat D. Once repaired it will cost you £40 for a 15min VIC check and you then get a new V5. No penalty or increase in insurance.

Buy it back and fix it. You will have a truck and a wallet of spare cash.
                              Brian

Comment

Cat D doesn't normally need a VIC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identity_Check

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-identity-check/overview
                                Last edited by andyverran; 5 July 2013, 14:43.

Comment

Working...
                                X