Little mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little mod

As one of the main preoccupations of owning a 2.4 is the dubious temperature gauge, I have been looking into the options for a new temperature gauge.

I personally don't like the dial style as fitted into a pod.
    I tried with a set out of an Alfa (water temp and clock)but just could not get the housing to look good on the dash where the clinometer sat.

The display fits in the slot quite snug, with only a bit of Dremmel work on the display clips and two holes for the function buttons.
    The ECT button is to be rehoused at the rear of the drive selector, when the indicator led has been replaced.

It is powered from a fused switched supply so is only on when the key is on.
    It has a battery back up so the clock memory is stored when powered off and lasts at least one week and maybe more without power.
    I checked this by powering it up from my spare battery for an hour, then checked it again the following week and the clock was still correct.

The voltage display is as accurate as my fluke and the same with the temperature also checked with a fluke.

The display is easily readable in direct sunlight and is not in yer face in total darkness.

The temperature probe is for the time being clamped to coolant feed to the turbo/heater matrix on the n shaped pipe underneath the thermostat housing.

So what do you think?
    Attached Files
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
    As one of the main preoccupations of owning a 2.4 is the dubious temperature gauge, I have been looking into the options for a new temperature gauge.

I tried with a set out of an Alfa (water temp and clock)but just could not get the housing to look good on the dash where the clinometer sat.

The display fits in the slot quite snug, with only a bit of Dremmel work on the display clips and two holes for the function buttons.
    The ECT button is to be rehoused at the rear of the drive selector, when the indicator led has been replaced.

It is powered from a fused switched supply so is only on when the key is on.
    It has a battery back up so the clock memory is stored when powered off and lasts at least one week and maybe more without power.
    I checked this by powering it up from my spare battery for an hour, then checked it again the following week and the clock was still correct.

The voltage display is as accurate as my fluke and the same with the temperature also checked with a fluke.

The display is easily readable in direct sunlight and is not in yer face in total darkness.

The temperature probe is for the time being clamped to coolant feed to the turbo/heater matrix on the n shaped pipe underneath the thermostat housing.

So what do you think?
    Looks well fitted, did a good job there.

do you spend all the time watching it like a hawk?!
    If I like it, Bushwhacker doesn't. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Benross View Post
      Looks well fitted, did a good job there.

do you spend all the time watching it like a hawk?!
      Ta

And no, however it was quite interesting the first few times watching the temperature rise and fall according to driving conditions.
      I think the most useful feature is an actual clock that I can see whilst driving.The next stage will be to fit a blanking plate where the original clock lived and use that space for some switches or suchlike.
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Don't ya just love little mods.

Nice job mate.
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
          Don't ya just love little mods.

Nice job mate.
          Got to second that...That does look like a really good mod...gotta love a digital readout

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post

So what do you think?
            Excellent, Ady. I wish I'd gone for something like that, rather than a big intrusive pod on the "A" pillar.
            " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

nice.

Posted in the wrong section, this isn't a f*cking free for all you know!!!!
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
              X