ODB2 & Car Computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ODB2 & Car Computers

Just putting together a car computer and I quite fancied having an inbuilt diagnostics kit to confuse myself while I drive.

Is anyone aware if the Hilux Surf, gen 3, 1996 model comes with an ODB2 port/socket?

Oh...and if it doesn't have one of these magical ports...is it something that could be added?

As far as I know third gen Surfs have an OBD2 socket but the Japanese domestic market models (i.e. the ones we import) are not OBD2 compliant. I think the 4-Runner vehicles produced for the US would have had to be OBD2 compliant which might explain the use of a common socket. I think US market vehicles had to be compliant from 1996 but UK market diesel vehicles only from 2003/4.

I suspect making the vehicle compliant would involve some serious work to determine if the required sensors are in place and fit them if they are not and then to get the relevant on-board computers installed and wired up to all the sensors. Not for the faint-hearted. However, others who are more knowledgeable than me may provide better and contradictory information.

Comment

Of more pertinence to imported JDM vehicles - I've spotted a claim on the website of an OBD2 diagnostic tool supplier that the Japanese have their own emissions monitoring standards and these vehicles will not be compatible with OBD2 diagnostic tools.

Comment

I have an OBD II port under the dash in the '01 truck but not in the '96 truck, both 2.7.

Comment

Curses. I'll just fit some Bluetooth heat sensors, tyre pressure and the like instead.

Comment

The older trucks don't have the live data outputs in their ECUs.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6634oSEHk-E

Just saying

Comment

What can I say? I despair of the generations there were without the likes of Knight Rider

(and yes, Cannonball run)

Comment

Does anyone know if this adapter plug will work on the 3rd Gen?

Comment

Working...
                  X