help with rear window button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with rear window button

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I was hoping to get a quick response as im half way through the job.

I found this thread that tells you how to put a live rear window switch on the inside of the boot >

http://www.yotatech.com/f2/remote-re...button-218926/,

its not a great how to, this is what it says

>>>>>>> If you pull the plastic cover off the lift gate you will see a plastic control box.

There's three wires running from the back of the switch key barrel down to the blue control box.

One white and black one which is the ground. It would be your center post on the switch.

Then there is a dark green with a yellow stripe and dark green with a red stripe. These are your +12v. One is up and one is down. They are located on the blue box. One row in from the passenger side stacked on top of each other.

They go on the momentary part of the switch.

You don't have to have the key on at all. Thats what makes it so slick. It's paralleling the key switch on the outside of the lift gate.

The problem I'm having is that I cant see a control box, and non of the wire colours mentioned seem to exist in my tailgate!

Does anyone have a 'how to' for doing this on a 2nd gen 2.4?

Thanks
    If I like it, Bushwhacker doesn't. :-)

Not sure that's for a 2nd gen.

Your control box is a relay box inside the pillar on the left hand side of the glass bit of the tailgate.

Comment

I just found this thread which explains it in better detail, so I think I've answered my query.

http://www.whitethaiger.net/mods/rear_win_switch/

The gist of it is open tailgate, use a screw driver to shut the latches so that the window will move, open window to nearly to the top (not fully as it wont support itself)

Running from the back of the key switch are some wires which run into a loom that runs along the top of the tailgate then around the side towards the truck.(the window slit end is what I'm calling the top)

In here you will find the wires :-

The Common: White with black strip

Up: Green with red strip

Down: Green with yellow strip

It looks like you have to tap into these wires and put a switch on the end.

I haven't done this yet as I haven't got any scotch snap connectors and with the wires being quite tight, I think these would be the best thing. So im leaving the tailgate back off until tomorrow when I can buy some.

I already have a window up and down switch that I bought of ebay, just search "universal electric window switch"

Hope this helps anyone else who might have been stuck!

Admittedly I haven't actually tested it yet so hold your horses and ill let you know tomorrow if it works!

Cheers

Comment

Are you going to climb into the boot to open the rear window? Is your switch in the cab dead?

Comment

It's so he can open the window from the boot when he is in there sleeping.
          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
            It's so he can open the window from the boot when he is in there sleeping.
            Ah, never thought about that. Apart from thinking if I ever slept in the boot of mine, my head would be at the other end. Makes sense and a good idea if you intend doing it often enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodge View Post
              Ah, never thought about that. Apart from thinking if I ever slept in the boot of mine, my head would be at the other end. Makes sense and a good idea if you intend doing it often enough.

Sorry, I should have said, I'm doing a few mods so that I can use my surf as an occasional overnight van, just 240v hook up, 12 v phone chargers, and some foam to sleep on. I just wanted the option of opening the window a little, or half way when I'm laying in the back, without having to put the key in the ignition.

Comment

Originally posted by Benross View Post
                Sorry, I should have said, I'm doing a few mods so that I can use my surf as an occasional overnight van, just 240v hook up, 12 v phone chargers, and some foam to sleep on. I just wanted the option of opening the window a little, or half way when I'm laying in the back, without having to put the key in the ignition.
                It's a good idea if you're going to spend some time in it. Curtains too?

Comment

Originally posted by Dodge View Post
                  It's a good idea if you're going to spend some time in it. Curtains too?
                  I did think about it, but my surfs got tints on all the rear and back windows so was going to see how it went. I might put a temp curtain behind the front seats so people cant see straight through the front windscreen into the back.

Comment

Nice ideas, but please don't use scotch locks. They'll make a good job bad.They break down in time, especially in the tailgate.
                    Strip cable back and solder on new cable and insulate.if you haven't got soldering iron-it's a worthwhile investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimagtr21 View Post
                      Nice ideas, but please don't use scotch locks. They'll make a good job bad.They break down in time, especially in the tailgate.
                      Strip cable back and solder on new cable and insulate.if you haven't got soldering iron-it's a worthwhile investment.
                      Too late! Scotch locked it before I read your post!

I used some three core flex and ran it to the bottom of the tailgate using the existing sheath and gromet to take it into the boot. I mounted the switch in the left hand cubby hole. If anyone needs anymore info give me a shout.

This little mod will be very handy when I am sleeping in the back to be able to notch the window down at the push of a button, or
                      Wind it all the way down if I have a nice view to look at from my bed!

Comment

Working...
                      X