Woolly Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woolly Steering

After going through the usual fault finding and diagnosis of the vague steering that I have been having, I think I have found the answer.

Before and after pics.
    Attached Files
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Balance a mug on the driver side step. Amazing how it's the little things you seem to think of last.
    Brian

Comment

Tyre choice makes all the difference to the truck, mine is currently on 265/75/16 enduro A/T but changing them to 265/70/16 GG's & painting the wheels of course.
      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
        Balance a mug on the driver side step. Amazing how it's the little things you seem to think of last.
        Lol The mug on the passenger side step is full to obtain the perfect balance.
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
          Tyre choice makes all the difference to the truck, mine is currently on 265/75/16 enduro A/T but changing them to 265/70/16 GG's & painting the wheels of course.
          Glad to see you are back "in the club"

I got the wheels and tyres for a bargain £50 from eBay, they have about 10mm of tread on them, so they should last a while.
          The idea was to stick them on whilst I refurbed the originals.
          The Mitsi Wheels were a bit scabby so gave them a rub down and several coats of etching primer and top coat and even more coats of lacquer I am more than happy with them.
          Plus with the newly acquired 30mm wheels spacers fitted I like the stance now.
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
            .......several coats of etching primer..........
            ?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              ?
              This is what the wheels looked like when I got them.
              The lacquer was in very poor condition and the corrosion under the balance weights had turned the alloy into a powder, hence the rubbing back to bare metal and then the use of the etching primer.

I know you are probably slightly confused by seeing a Wiltshire truck looking soo shiny
              Attached Files
              Last edited by shokenore; 9 June 2013, 11:34.
              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I was referring to the multiple coats of etching primer.
                Surely any more than one is pointless as it's function is to adhere to the bare surface?

Anyhoo good result, ignore my mutterings, I'm just waiting for BTCC to start.

Comment

If you spray several coats in 10-15 min intervals you build up a reasonably thick, even, single coat. This will then harden over the next day to a nice surface.

If you sprayed a coat every 24hrs...then yeh, that would be pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylux View Post
                    If you spray several coats in 10-15 min intervals you build up a reasonably thick, even, single coat. This will then harden over the next day to a nice surface.

If you sprayed a coat every 24hrs...then yeh, that would be pointless.
                    Did the wheels one at a time.
                    Primer coat was built up in one go then left to harden then lightly rubbed down then top coat(s) was put on over a few days then the same with the lacquer coat(s).
                    Then left to harden for a couple of days before bolting in place, didn't want soft paint to scuff up when bolted to the hubs.

First wheel suffered from a weird crinkled effect when the lacquer coat started to dry so that all came off again, back to the bare alloy just to be sure, not sure if it was a bit too cold?
                    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post

First wheel suffered from a weird crinkled effect when the lacquer coat started to dry so that all came off again, back to the bare alloy just to be sure, not sure if it was a bit too cold?
                      Cold causes all sorts of things to wrinkle up.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
                        Cold causes all sorts of things to wrinkle up.

This post needs pics

No hang on scrub that
                        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                        X