Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice before buying please

Dear All,
    I wish to buy a surf, as I am totally hooked on them - yet everybody I know says don't. The logic makes sence if you believe them - so I wanted to ask the experts.
    1:Excepting the higher insurance costs, are these cars the potential nightmare that some people make out. Will it be fore ever in the garage???
    2:There seems to be this big issue with over heating and heads - whats the deal there please.
    3: Does any one have a checklist of obvious things prior to buying to look for please?
    I am not a mechanic, but not an idiot either, and have an excellent local Toyota dealer who says he sees a lot of Surfs.

Specifically I am looking at a: 1991, 2.4 Turbo Diesel SSR-G. It was bought by its current owner with a dead engine, and has a full rebuild by a professional local company ( receipts to proove etc) . total of 92000 miles on clock, but only 500 since rebuild. Has 12 inch wide alloys, and 33 ince tyres all new. and jacked up suspension. Immacualte interior with Recaro seats. Guy seems genuine enough - says he bought it as a project, it has eaten cash and now he needs to get some back - he has 6 other off roaders! He is well known local professional not a car dealer. Cost £ 4,495

So what do you all think. Would appreciate advice from people who know these cars. Thanks in advance. PAul
    .......because I can....OK!
    2.4 TD manual 1992 SSR-X

Originally posted by Paul Savage
    Dear All,
    I wish to buy a surf, as I am totally hooked on them - yet everybody I know says don't. The logic makes sence if you believe them - so I wanted to ask the experts.
    1:Excepting the higher insurance costs, are these cars the potential nightmare that some people make out. Will it be fore ever in the garage???
    2:There seems to be this big issue with over heating and heads - whats the deal there please.
    3: Does any one have a checklist of obvious things prior to buying to look for please?
    I am not a mechanic, but not an idiot either, and have an excellent local Toyota dealer who says he sees a lot of Surfs.

Specifically I am looking at a: 1991, 2.4 Turbo Diesel SSR-G. It was bought by its current owner with a dead engine, and has a full rebuild by a professional local company ( receipts to proove etc) . total of 92000 miles on clock, but only 500 since rebuild. Has 12 inch wide alloys, and 33 ince tyres all new. and jacked up suspension. Immacualte interior with Recaro seats. Guy seems genuine enough - says he bought it as a project, it has eaten cash and now he needs to get some back - he has 6 other off roaders! He is well known local professional not a car dealer. Cost £ 4,495

So what do you all think. Would appreciate advice from people who know these cars. Thanks in advance. PAul
    Yes there is an issue with some 2.4 heads but not as common as it seems, if it has receipts for a NEW head not stitched or recon then it should be fine. Insurance isn't such an issue on imports as it used to be, check out the insurance thread under FAQ's.
    As for the lift and 33" tyres, I would think that unless the gearing has been changed to suit these tyres the 2.4 will be slower on top speed and a lot juicier on the gas turning these big tyres. Also take into account that with lifts over a certain height it will effect the angle on the shafts, etc. These should be lenghtened to suit certain heights of lift. If not done correctly it could put extra stresses on these if the angle is more acute than normal.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Dear All,

Paul.

Apart from the cracked heads on some 2.4s - new replacement heads should not be a problem, the Surf is a totally bombproof car. Generally they are increadibly reliable especially for cars that are over 10 years old, most parts are seriously strong.

The Surf is a comfortable motor to drive while not being exactly fast, the 2L engine is one of the most used engines ever, parts are prtty easy to get (trim is sometimes more difficult but a lot of trim parts can be got on eBay or from a local Toyota dealer.

I have had mine just over 2 years and even with replacing the head on it just over a year ago, I think this is the best motor I have ever owned.

A good list of things to look at is at the following link.

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm

You won't regret owning a Surf if you get a good one. They are ceratinly better to drive than a same age Disco or Pajero/Shogun.

Cheers

Comment

Buying advice..........

Hello

Most of the stories you hear about the 2.4 heads are true - I bought one and paid the price. After the new head was fitted, the car has done about 20,000 hard (towing a horse box) miles, so once fixed, they seem to stay that way.

I should have bought the 3L, the engine must have about 50% more torque, oh well you live and learn. I will soon replace mine for a 3L (hilly South Wales makes the 2.4 struggle with the box and two horses).

ADRIAN FLUX do very competetive quotes for Surfs (they actually know what they are!)

The price being asked seems OK, a word of warning though, once driving one, you become strangely hooked.................

Best regards

Andrew
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

I think everybody you know who says don't get one is only doing so coz they will be jealous !!!

If you got a Toyota mechanic who says he sees loads, there can't be that much wrong with them if everyone is buying them. Have a good look round before parting with cash, check out those for sale on this forum. Nobody pretends the 2.4 head prob doesn't exist, it does, ours went after 6 weeks but once done, a brill motor.....either buy one that's already been done, get proof, or buy with possible probs in mind, or buy a 3 ltr, or listen to everybody you know and don't get one and spend your time wishing you had....

Go on, you know you want to really......
          Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Comment

thanks

Dear all, thanks for the replies -

I have found out that the head was reconditioned / skimmed?? at the time of rebuild. Is this good / bad. Also talk of new conrods?? NOw out of my depth!!
            I only plan to use this car to drive a round trip of 40 miles a day, take me and my surf boards surfing! (excuse the pun) and carry big / dirty / loads. I have a brand new Toyota Verso for the long trips and motorway. THis will be daddys toy for enjoying and not worrying if the paint gets chipped!

Not sure if that changes anything.

Thanks all.

PAul Savage
            .......because I can....OK!
            2.4 TD manual 1992 SSR-X

Comment

Surf - excellent

The head on my 2.4TD blew - replaced and great motor. That's the kiss of death on it!

Have owned a Disco and a Rangie before this and the Surf is miles better than both of them.

Take it from me, as I have worked on the development of new Landrovers, that this is the car Landrover should of built 15 years ago!

Use mine to tow the bikes I build and buy even had a 400 CC dirt bike in the back, forks and wheels out of course, but hauled that and all my tools no worries!

Comment

BAD....

I believe a recon head is termed as 'stitched' .... although how they thread the needle I don't know...ha ha
                Did he mean he's replaced the rods or it needed them.... either way, I'd leave it...

Comment

Dear all, thanks for the replies -

I have found out that the head was reconditioned / skimmed?? at the time of rebuild. Is this good / bad. Also talk of new conrods?? NOw out of my depth!!
                  I only plan to use this car to drive a round trip of 40 miles a day, take me and my surf boards surfing! (excuse the pun) and carry big / dirty / loads. I have a brand new Toyota Verso for the long trips and motorway. THis will be daddys toy for enjoying and not worrying if the paint gets chipped!

Not sure if that changes anything.

Thanks all.

PAul Savage
                  Personally I wouldn't touch a Surf with a recon/stitched/skimmed head with a barge pole.

PS If you want one with a new head I have one for sale, see for sale section
                  Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi

PS If you want one with a new head I have one for sale, see for sale section

I gently hinted toward this, you just blatantly come out with it...good on yer.

Comment

I had a 2.4ltr, Paid £6000 for it and within 6 months the head blew and it cost me £2400 to fix including a new turbo. Once fixed I allways had that feeling of uncertainty and distrust in this engine so got rid.
                      I had an expensive lesson and I know people will argue about the 2.4 being solid with a new head but I certainly can't afford another bill like that.

I now have a 3ltr kzn185 and it's a different beast, i.e better mpg smoother harder acceleration, better top speed full time 4wd etc. but you pay your money and take your choice. If you are one of the lucky ones that has a good engine then fair play but I would look very carefully for one with a new head. It is true that all diesels can have head problems but I was unlucky and paid the price like a lot of others.

Andy

Comment

Dear All,

Look for a 3.0lt which is a new import. i.e no dodge UK dealer to f**k around with the clock or look for service stickers to give you guide on the real mileage
                        ScubaSurf

The place to be is under the sea

Comment

Ive had my 1st gen 6 years now and although she is a 2.4 and not the fastest surf on the block I have NEVER had head trouble,I must admit though if the 3lt had been available when i got mine I would have gone for it.Then again hey I dont drive fast I just drive where I want to and not many if any 0-60 in 4 seconds cars can do that.
                          So i would run like hell from the surf you were looking at as the rebuild sounds as if it could have been done as cheap as poss to make as much money as poss,and go find yourself a nice 3lt.Take your time and look around when you find one you like make several visits cos you always forget somthing the first time.Above all enjoy it its like watching miss world live.once youve got one its like owning miss world cos everyone looks and everyone is jeleous cos she belongs to you.
                          If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Working...
                          X