Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOT rear brake fail

Hi all
    Put my 3rd gen 2.7 truck in for MOT on Thursday last week. Not expecting much to be wrong, as only done about 2,500 miles since last years test (which went straight through). It only just passed the emissions test with an advisory on being tricky to get pass result at time of test (looks like new CAT next year). It did fail though on the nearside rear brake recording little resistance on application. Also same wheel parking brake efficiency low. So I thought not a bad result, probably just worn shoes, adjuster needs adjusting, or sticking brake cylinder. Yesterday I took off wheel and slid off drum to see how much shoes had worn, and was met with the sight of the inside of the drum, and shoes (plus nearly everything else inside drum) totally covered in a black oil slick no wonder the shoes would not grip the drum. I checked the rubber boots on each end of the brake cylinder for fluid leaks, but was dry, and no drips on the adjuster, so not leaking any brake fluid. It looks like the axle shaft/hub oil seals have gone bust letting diff oil escape the end of the shaft at the inside of the hub. Have never done oil seals on a rear axle shaft, so not sure how involved it is to do. Been doing a bit of research, and looks like there is an inner and outer oil seal either side of the bearing. Was wondering whether it is best to get a bearing kit, with the two seals, O rings etc. included. Also does the ABS speed sensor rotor have to be broken off the shaft during disassembling. Have not seen one listed in brake parts section of suppliers. Looks like this oil seals job might be beyond my capabilities and tool kit. Have done brake shoe replacements before, which is what I was expecting to be doing this time. Might have to put truck on a Sorn, can afford the parts, but will have to wait until I can afford to pay someone who knows how to tackle axle seals to sort it out.
    Cheers all from Stew........
    Last edited by night trunker; 19 May 2013, 05:03. Reason: spelling and wording

A press is required to do the work properly so probably best to sub that part of the job out.

£30 a side to press out and in would sound reasonable.
    Brian

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=76881

Comment

Thanks lads

Thank you Yoshie & Vince for your advice.
        The photo tutorial link you posted Vince was excellent and just what I was looking for. If it is only the half shaft seal leaking, then I could DIY it myself following your instructions. Is there a way of telling if the outer seal is also knackered. That would be a pain if the outer seal was also gone, but don't want to replace outer if there is a way to confirm that there is no fault with it, and only the inner causing the leak.
        Cheers

Comment

Rear axel gear oil

Hi all fellow surfers.
          Doe's anyone know if there is anything that can be added to EP 85 w140 Gear oil to thin it out to 85 w90 for use in the rear axle. I have two 20l sealed drums of 85 w140 heavy duty gear oil in shed, and need 2.5l of 85w90 for rear axle refill. Would the w140 treacle be to thick to be used neat. Has anyone near Somerset got any use for a sealed 20l drum of EP GL5 85-w140 heavy duty gear oil? Make me an offer/barter, or swap for 5l 85-w90, any takers......
          Cheers.....Stew

Comment

Originally posted by night trunker View Post
            Thank you Yoshie & Vince for your advice.
            The photo tutorial link you posted Vince was excellent and just what I was looking for. If it is only the half shaft seal leaking, then I could DIY it myself following your instructions. Is there a way of telling if the outer seal is also knackered. That would be a pain if the outer seal was also gone, but don't want to replace outer if there is a way to confirm that there is no fault with it, and only the inner causing the leak.
            Cheers
            The outer one is more of a dust seal, it's the inner seal that keeps the oil in the axle.
            If the backing plate (the part that the brakes are fitted to) is 'wobbly' when you pull the halfshaft out, then the bearing needs replacing.

Comment

Thanks for info

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              The outer one is more of a dust seal, it's the inner seal that keeps the oil in the axle.
              If the backing plate (the part that the brakes are fitted to) is 'wobbly' when you pull the halfshaft out, then the bearing needs replacing.
              Hi Bushwhacker. Thanks for the info. I have ordered a complete rear bearing kit that has both inner and outer seals, bearing, O ring, two retainers, & snap ring. Have also ordered a replacement breather, as the original is totally blocked up, which probably caused the inner seal to fail with pressure buildup. My local workshop has a large floor press, and will do the replacement pressing for £30. Might have to order the ABS speed rotor from Roughtrax if it won't budge and has to be bust off. Have not removed the half-shaft yet, as got some oil flush circulating in the axle before draining. Any ideas on the gear oil question above?
              Last edited by night trunker; 21 May 2013, 17:45. Reason: added extra content.

Comment

Working...
              X