For info: fuel effeciency differences between manuals and autos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For info: fuel effeciency differences between manuals and autos

I'm about to make an assumption and a generalisation here but it would appear that the auto I now drive will give better MPG than the manual I had. Two reasons:

1 - My mate from work (who sold it to me) said he always got about 380 miles out of a tank (and his run to work is pretty much the same as mine). I never pushed the manual past 350 miles from a tank.

2 - At 60mph the auto revs at just over 1500 (top gear). The manual revved at about 2200-ish in top gear (I seem to remember). Or to put it another way, 2000 revs gave me a touch over 55mph in the manual but gives me 60mph in the auto.

I suppose if I were to do alot of "urban" driving with more acceleration and stopping, the benefits gained in a cruise would be counteracted. My drive to work, however is A road and dual carriageway for 85% of the way so much of the drive is cruising in top gear. Once I've filled the tank and re-filled it again, I'll let you know what I'm getting MPG-wise from the auto. The manual generally came out at about 27MPG, a bit more if I drove with a lighter right foot.

:O

What size you got?

I'm getting 250 to a tank in my 3.0D auto. Fairly short runs though.
    Paul

Surfless, donations welcome.

Comment

I too only see around 250 miles on tankfull - 3.0TD Auto

Comment

Not had mine long enough to be bothered to test the MPG.

But at 2000rpm (I'm manual) it is bang on 60mph.

Comment

I get about 230miles from 50 litres. 3.0 auto and a heavy right foot. Mostly urban and city roads.

Comment

2.7 petrol...

On a run from Newport to Chester a few years back, (All 'A' roads, sensible driving, baby on board) I got 34 mpg.
            MPG sucks on short runs though.

Doesn't run out of puff after 70mph either.

Comment

It's a 3.0 litre TD, 3rd gen.

250 miles from a tank is just under 19mpg, assuming you've got a 65 litre tank and you're re-filling with 5 litres left in the tank (so getting 250 miles out of 60 litres).

The speedo and tripometer are both in miles, not kms. Like I say, though, alot of my miles are somewhere between 1500 and 2000 revs (depending on whether I'm on a single carriageway doing 60 or a dual carriageway doing 70).

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                ....I got 34 mpg....

That's some mpg. I'll have to have a look at mine if I take the Surf back home, 600 miles away down the motorway. I'd like to think it might give me that sort of efficiency.

Gotta get a life, I'm getting obsessed with this mpg thing.........

Comment

With my 3.0L diesel I get 300miles from a tank, that's with a combination of my heavy right foot and towing the missis' fat ponies around. If I drive sensibly I can scrimp 320miles per tank but I'm not very sensible....

I would always have thought the manual would be better on the MPG as it wouldn't have to turn the mahooosive torque converter and all that gubbins but maybe not.

Comment

Don't know much (anything!) about all the mechanices but I think it's the simple fact that the engine is running at a lower speed in top gear for a given road speed. It works for me as I'm only really ever on the A96.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaMonsta View Post
                      Don't know much (anything!) about all the mechanices but I think it's the simple fact that the engine is running at a lower speed in top gear for a given road speed. It works for me as I'm only really ever on the A96.

Exactly, autos are more thirsty getting up to speed than manuals.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        Exactly, autos are more thirsty getting up to speed than manuals.
                        Thought they might be. It seems to hold 2000 - 2500 revs for quite a while before changing. That's why I was surprised at the lower fuel consumption.

Comment

Working...
                        X