Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know freeboosting is bad, but....

HOLY CR@P!!!!!

Finally after 10,000kms ive decided ive run the new rebuilt 2.8 in enough and its time to see what it could do, its already been intercooled, I needed to adjust the 2.4 pump to suit the new 2,8 but decided to give it all for a bit of fun and then disabled the wastegate to allow the turbo to give it all it had.

In short, massive black cloud if smoke mixed with white tyre smoke as it proceed to scare the living hell out of me and spin up the 33's when it hit boost in first gear from a MOVING start (not spin from clutch dump)

No its not staying like that its going back to a mild boost wind up (mabey up to 12 from the factory 8) and the pump will be properly adjusted to suit as required, and yes I knew the risks of my turbo spitting out its fins but I had to try it and see how the new engine handled now its run in, and when set to limitless it smokes my 3rd gen intercooled 1kz!

Just wish I could leave it like that permantly but doubt it would last too long putting out that kind of power, but at least I experienced it for a brief moment of glory
    (PLEASE DONT TRY THIS YOURSELF!)
    Last edited by Kiwisurfing; 6 May 2013, 09:11.
    Its a new truck, Because every parts been replaced

Originally posted by Kiwisurfing View Post
    HOLY CR@P!!!!!

Finally after 10,000kms ive decided ive run the new rebuilt 2.8 in enough and its time to see what it could do, its already been intercooled, I needed to adjust the 2.4 pump to suit the new 2,8 but decided to give it all for a bit of fun and then disabled the wastegate to allow the turbo to give it all it had.

In short, massive black cloud if smoke mixed with white tyre smoke as it proceed to scare the living hell out of me and spin up the 33's when it hit boost in first gear from a MOVING start (not spin from clutch dump)

No its not staying like that its going back to a mild boost wind up (mabey up to 12 from the factory 8) and the pump will be properly adjusted to suit as required, and yes I knew the risks of my turbo spitting out its fins but I had to try it and see how the new engine handled now its run in, and when set to limitless it smokes my 3rd gen intercooled 1kz!

Just wish I could leave it like that permantly but doubt it would last too long putting out that kind of power, but at least I experienced it for a brief moment of glory
    (PLEASE DONT TRY THIS YOURSELF!)
    Video or it did not happen
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I've read you an get this kind of power from these Diesels. But have also read that the small turbos can't really handle it in the long term. I don't know about smoking 33"s from a rolling start though. Do it again and film it
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Yep ill have to take it out and film it before I revert it back to a little more normal, ok I slightly cheated with the wheel spin as it was raining but still just as impressive

The poor old turbo makes such a noise that theres no way it will survive long but its well overdue for replacement/rebuild anyway so dont care if it dies, and the intercooler should catch its fins if it goes and theres a manual shut off/air choke for runaway situations, so well prepared for my stupidity

Hence why I dont recommend anyone try freeboosting as it you cant stop your engine when the turbo oil seals lets go it will drink the sump and cease in very little time
        Last edited by Kiwisurfing; 9 May 2013, 07:08.

Comment

The only thing you largely need to worry about other than the points you made are EGR temp. Hook up a gauge, I bet your temps would have rocketed when you did the test. Do you know what the boost level reached?
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Sorted that too
            In short bursts of 10 seconds tops (run out of road) it climbed to about 5-600c

Not to sure about the boost but the orange warning light is meant to turn on at 14 and it does that pretty smartly so ild guess 16-18 tops, its a tiny turbo so even that would be pushing it, probbly look at replacing it for a better one when I have the money free as I dont like the boost only really being available after 1500rpm

Comment

I remember "BDT" (got banned from here) did somethinkg like that, not sure but i think he fitted a landcriuser turbo, i can comfirm his truck went like $hit off a shovel, but shortly afterwards the head went, (he had a 3lt)
              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

From what I can remember, those temps are in the brown (brown is beyond the "red" zone and according to Red Dwarf may require changing the bulb if your standard warning system of green > yellow > red doesn't include the brown alert).

Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                X