Wheels and tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels and tyres

Recently ended on ebay was a listing for four 33 x 12.5 tyres on steel wheels size R15 x 7jj.

Now I was under the impression that you can't fit that size tyre to that size wheel. The seller said he had them on a land cruiser that he used to off road and indeed the picture showed them on his truck complete with snorkel. (Not sure of the relevance of that but but I added it anyway)

The tyres were Cooper STT's in case that makes any difference.

Is this safe?

It's ok to fit 12.5" tyres to 7jj rims, but the sidewalls bulge quite a bit and makes the steering very vague and there's a risk the front tyres could pop off the rim when cornering hard on the road, which is why most tyre fitters don't like fitting them.
    Minimun 8" wide rims for 33/12.5 tyres, 10" wide rims and the truck has that perfect chunky stance.

Landcruiser wheels have more off-set than the Surf's.

Comment

Standard wheels have an 8 offset (not sure what that means) but if you get the aforementioned 10" rims do they need to be offset as well?

Sorry if I'm not making much sense but the wheel size thing is all very confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonk View Post
        Standard wheels have an 8 offset (not sure what that means) but if you get the aforementioned 10" rims do they need to be offset as well?

Sorry if I'm not making much sense but the wheel size thing is all very confusing.
        The larger the -offset number, the deeper the wheels look.
        Surfs are -8, Landcruiser are -20.

The largest off-set you can have on a Surf is -53 IIRC, but you'll need at least 4" of lift other wise you won't be going 'round corners without the tyres rubbing.

Off-set is the measurement from the centre line of the wheel to the actual mounting face. The higher the negative number, (-) the further the outer edge of the wheel is away from the centre line of the truck. (Deep dish)

The higher the plus off-set number, (+) the closer the inner edge of the wheel is closer to the centre line of the truck. (Centre of wheel closer to the outside edge of the wheel)

Should have just posted this...
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 22 April 2013, 14:02.

Comment

Thanks, that make sense, I think...

Now not wanting to put too finer point on this but what part of the truck does the tyre rub on if you haven't lifted it enough?

This shouldn't affect me because I've already lifted the body 2" and the suspension lift will be done next month, but I'm interested to know what bits rub where.

It's just that I can't see by looking, what bit you would clear by lifting it that extra 2" (over and above the body lift).

(And I promise not to ask any more daft questions...... Well tonight anyway)

I can't find an 'I'm stupid' smilie either, otherwise I'd post it.

Comment

They rub on the plastic wheel arch extension piece on the bumper ends on full lock, (just remove it) and the plastic inner wheel arch lining near the mudflap. (Just trim a section off using a Stanley knife.)
            The amount of rubbing will also depend on what style tyre tread you have, mud tyres will rub more than a road biased tyre due to the chunkier thread.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post

Should have just posted this...

I love it when you post those little white boxes with red exes, Vince.
              " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
                I love it when you post those little white boxes with red exes, Vince.
                Wotchutalkinbout Willis??!!

Comment

So I have a 2 inch lift, so if I were to fit 1 inch spring spacers and some ball joint spacers along with some shocks, would 33s fit on mine? I have deep dish steel wheels. 8 inch wide.
                  well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
                    So I have a 2 inch lift, so if I were to fit 1 inch spring spacers and some ball joint spacers along with some shocks, would 33s fit on mine? I have deep dish steel wheels. 8 inch wide.
                    Hey Luke. Ball joint spacers on top of a 2" lift might put a lot of strain on your front drive shaft CV joints, due to the increased angle. The best tried and tested way to make room for those 33's is 2" suspension and 2" body lift.

Comment

Would save on buying shocks I suppose.... But the first job is that damn steering idler! Rattle bang, rattle bang.
                      well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
                        Would save on buying shocks I suppose.... But the first job is that damn steering idler! Rattle bang, rattle bang.
                        Oh, I love a bit of onomatopoeia.....

Comment

Working...
                        X