Dont bother with a cheap chinese locker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dont bother with a cheap chinese locker

As per title, if anyone was following my install write up a few months ago (http://hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=77824) here the result of the chinese locker.

I dropped it out to address an air leak and was only planning to replace seals thinking one had gone dodgy, then found the housing to be cracked

Not worth putting it back in as its only going to take another quick shock load and poof, cracked all the way through in the middle of a river while 4wding, so out it comes and back to open carrier till I can pick up a proper ARB locker.

Was fun to see what the cheap locker would do but sad to see the results, very poor casting and off center (had to leave fair amount of backlash in it because of this) and its only been used for about 5 trips behind my 2.8 so surprised it failed so easily. (theres 4 cracks around it not just the one by the way)

I learnt my lesson on cheap lockers the hard way so I hope this help someone else decide what to purchase for their surf, enjoy my missery
    Attached Files
    Its a new truck, Because every parts been replaced

bugger.
    looks like the same quality as my Chinese turbo !

i see suzolla has a zip locker for sale.
    http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Foru...p?f=64&t=33713

Comment

There's a saying, pay cheap and pay twice. How much was the locker by the way?

FYI I have a Lockright installed in my Surf in England. I imported the locker from the states and cost me less than £300. Just looked up the receipt in my email folder and total price was $296 USD and $50 of that was shipping, so lockright was $246. I thought that was cheap! I may of had to pay import tax on that as well though.
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
        There's a saying, pay cheap and pay twice. How much was the locker by the way?
        $600 so was pretty cheap (nz money) chinese ones are about $1100 new with the ARB units pushing 2k

Will have to think about whats going to replace it, ive thrown it back in for now as I need to be able to move it out of the driveway but dont think ill be taking it 4wding as its not worth the risk
        Its a new truck, Because every parts been replaced

Comment

So I guess then that the Chinese locker is a manual one which you engage yourself either via air or electronically? Could you be happy with an auto one like me? I really like the auto one, takes no thinking you just know it's there. A little cheaper than the Chinese one you used, and is a simple design made from strong material.

Linky: http://www.richmondgear.com/powertrax/lockright.html
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
          X