No announcement yet.

radiator coolant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check the lines to the rear heater, they are prone to corrosion.

Check the rubber seals on the radiator cap.
    Check the weep hole on the water pump.

I pumped mine up to about 11 psi and found loads of tiny leaks on the majority of the hose unions.

Replaced the wire hose clips with "jubilee clips".

After you have found that it is a leak and not a cracked head , don't forget to flush the system before putting you expensive coolant in.

Fingers crossed that the head is ok?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post

I pumped mine up to about 11 psi and found loads of tiny leaks on the majority of the hose unions.

After you have found that it is a leak and not a cracked head , don't forget to flush the system before putting you expensive coolant in.

Thanks for you help im just curious what did you hook the bike pump to to pump pressure in?
      Yes it's a V8, don't you know I'm loco?

Comment

I used a stepped rubber medicine bottle adaptor like you would use for one of those non needle syringes for Calpol or similar.

This adaptor was pushed into the rad cap hole.

Then had the push bike valve thing pushed in the hole.

Proper red neck
        Last edited by shokenore; 6 April 2013, 13:57.
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

fair play

Comment

Did my last flush with dishwasher powder or dissolve a tab...works wonders.
            .... Which was nice.

Comment

I was losing water from the rad which was appearing on the fan blades and engine compartment as a rusty deposit and immediately thought, "Oh Christ, the head's rubber ducked".(Technical term!)

Couldn't find any actual leaks but the rad cap looked a bit ragged on the rubber seal, not a Toyota part either.

Put a new genuine cap on and no more water loss since. Seven weeks now.

Water was being pumped into the overflow tank and out of the small breather pipe and being spread round under the bonnet by the fan.

Looked a lot more serious than it was.

Good excuse for a calming drink, (or several) though!

Comment

Originally posted by Tankerman View Post
                I was losing water from the rad which was appearing on the fan blades and engine compartment as a rusty deposit and immediately thought, "Oh Christ, the head's rubber ducked".(Technical term!)

Couldn't find any actual leaks but the rad cap looked a bit ragged on the rubber seal, not a Toyota part either.

Put a new genuine cap on and no more water loss since. Seven weeks now.

Water was being pumped into the overflow tank and out of the small breather pipe and being spread round under the bonnet by the fan.

Looked a lot more serious than it was.

Good excuse for a calming drink, (or several) though!
                i think this could be the same as me i've just spent the last 2 hours doing a coolant flush i inspected the cap and it has a small amount of corrosion on the lower rubber seal so i think ill replace that, as for the exspasion tank i thought plenty of water was in it was actually 2x to much i some of my rad water was in the tank but ive done a full flush now and heatings back on and engine temp won;t budge over half way so im happy for the time being.

one thing i did notice was i put 5 litres of coolant in and went to put in 5 of water but only could fit 1 litre of water, any ideas???

im going to check levels in a little while as engine is hot after a beasting test drive

Comment

Shokenore any ideas why i could only fit 1 litre of water in after the 5 coolant??

Comment

1. You may not have drained all the coolant out initially

2. There may be a few (BIG) air bubbles in the system still

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

What Bob said /\

Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post

1. You may not have drained all the coolant out initially

2. There may be a few (BIG) air bubbles in the system still

yea i think not draining it properly may be correct, i did an anti freeze test and it basically said immediate action needed your anti freeze is horse s**t

so least its got some working coolant in it

Comment

What Bob said /\

i thought the rad drained it all but just read a post from tony stating block drain is seperate

Comment

oh qwick thought should i be worried about the new and old coolant mixing?

i know they say don't mix colours but i could'nt tell wat colour the old one was

Comment

Working...
                            X