Surf trouble, advice needed please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf trouble, advice needed please.

Hi, some of you may be aware that my 2.7 petrol 3rd gen ssrx broke down last week when the rad went. Well, today i got the news from the mechanic that in all likelyhood the head has gone too - a diagnosis made from the white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Gutted.

While I needed the truck to get around, I don't have the £££ to fix her up so what are my options? Obviously selling as spares or repairs is probably the only thing I can do but considering the wheels were brand new 6 months ago and cost £800, how much am I likely to get?

Any input appreciated, thanks.

I may be just the gasket. My older 2.7 overheated before I bought it and it was just a blown head gasket.
    I thought your insurance paid for the wheels?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      I thought your insurance paid for the wheels?
      Yep, but they still are 6 months old and worth £800. :-)

You're right, it could be just the gasket but (as I understand it) to check that I'd have to have the head taken out, stripped, resealed and pressure tested?
      Is that right?

The quote I had was almost £150 to test it and that's without labour to remove it. The mechanic is fairly confident that it's gone, but there's no other way to be certain I guess and it's money I just dont have.
      I don't want her siting there for months until I have some cash. Rock and hard place...
      Last edited by Blacknwhitey; 4 April 2013, 16:49.

Comment

My 2.7 made a nice sauna out of the exhaust on the way home from work. Gasket had gone, head skimmed and pressure tested for £80, new gasket set and oil change, easy peasy.

I'm afraid the links I provided in my head change thread don't work now but plenty of other info in there.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=76835

If you were closer I'd strip it for you mate.
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
          My 2.7 made a nice sauna out of the exhaust on the way home from work. Gasket had gone, head skimmed and pressure tested for £80, new gasket set and oil change, easy peasy.

I'm afraid the links I provided in my head change thread don't work now but plenty of other info in there.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=76835

If you were closer I'd strip it for you mate.

Excellent thread Alan, don't understand why it isn't a Sticky.

Comment

mmmmm.
            Alan

Comment

Sounds like someone at the garage has heard about head on diesels so every surf must be the same...
              well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

I agree, the 'mechanic' can only guess at what's wrong without proper inspection.
                Get mates with knowledge and the proper tools to help, it's only an engine, nothing to be scared of.
                You'll need to take the head off to make a decision about what happens next.

For repair you'll need this.
                http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=1260&vid=1866
                http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=1275

Correct oil, sump washer, coolant flush and new coolant for system.

A silver sharpie pen to mark head bolts, a couple of m6 bolts and some cable ties, an oil drain pan, a good torque wrench and a bit of time.

Go for it.
                Alan

Comment

Thanks Alan, that's really helpful. Sadly, I can't do it myself but I'll def chat to the mechanic about it. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    Excellent thread Alan, don't understand why it isn't a Sticky.
                    it is now
                    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                    My choice
                    Back off

Comment

Every little helps !!

11+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
                      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                      X