yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was bored at work today and thinking about auto lockers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was bored at work today and thinking about auto lockers.

I came to the conclusion that you could run a 2nd gen on tarmac in 4x4 no problems, but at some points you'd be in one wheel drive.

What do you guys think ?

obviously you will get transmission windup regardless of what locker you run
    but as far as auto lockers goes, when you turn and both unlock you will have one front and one rear wheel driving.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak'e View Post
      What would wind up the transmission ? - any wheel that wants to turn faster than the diff wants it to will unlock and ratchet forwards.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
        I came to the conclusion that you could run a 2nd gen on tarmac in 4x4 no problems, but at some points you'd be in one wheel drive.

What do you guys think ?
        No, second gen surfs do not have a center differential and cannot be run on dry tarmac in 4x4 without risking damage to components.

The front and rear wheels HAVE to run at the same speed and as this is not possible when turning your buggered. You will always have at least one front AND one rear wheel being powered

I can see where your coming from with the auto locker and yes that one wheel turns faster than the other when required but that is only in the axle its installed in, ie. front or rear axle, regardless of locker or not the front and rear cannot turn at different speeds due to lacking a center diff.

Hope that explains a little for you.
        Its a new truck, Because every parts been replaced

Comment

Oh right - so an auto locker would not be able to allow both wheels on one axle to ratchet faster than the diff in that axle is turning ? I assumed it would...

Cheers,
          Rob.

Comment

but as far as auto lockers goes, when you turn and both unlock you will have one front and one rear wheel driving.

It's the transfercase that 'winds up' not the transmission/gearbox.

Comment

Oh right - so an auto locker would not be able to allow both wheels on one axle to ratchet faster than the diff in that axle is turning ? I assumed it would...

Cheers,
              Rob.
              one side will ratchet and the other side will be locked. if both ratchet you will not be abe to get any drive!
              what your wanting is a centre diff for the transfer case. that allows front and rear to run at different speeds.

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              It's the transfercase that 'winds up' not the transmission/gearbox.
              its the entire driveline. the binding on the front and rear wheels puts extra load on the driveline. either engine stalls, wheels start skipping or you break something. tho often its the weakest link that goes and often its the transfer chain that stretches.

Comment

[QUOTE=tweak'e;792254]one side will ratchet and the other side will be locked. if both ratchet you will not be abe to get any drive!

QUOTE]

Which is why I said you'll be in 1 wheel drive at some points..

Comment

I think he meant to say
                  one side will ratchet and the other side will be locked. if both were allowed to ratchet you will not be abe to get any drive!
                  what your wanting is a centre diff for the transfer case. that allows front and rear to run at different speeds.
                  I think...
                  "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                    I think he meant to say

I think...
                    That's what I'm getting at- Is there any reason that an auto locker wouldn't ratchet all wheels.

For example - if you had auto lockers front and rear and put it in 1st gear low range and drove at 5mph, and someone decided to tow you at 15mph would all 4 wheels disconnect and ratchet forwards ? - Tweak'e and kiwisurfing are saying that this won't be possible and that 1 of the wheels on each axle will be fully locked to the diff and still turning at 5mph, causing 'wind up'

Comment

And i think they were alluding to the fact that this doesnt happen and one axle will alwaysh have drive....
                      But i know nothing.of lockers so lets wait for an adult to answer!
                      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

The default position on an auto locker is locked.
                        It shifts to open diff not non existent diff when wheel speed difference is required when cornering or on a roundabout for example.
                        Last edited by yoshie; 30 March 2013, 01:17.
                        Brian

Comment

the locker itself only has enough clearance for one side to unlock at a time.
                          thats one of the main clearances you have to check when you install it.

Comment

For example - if you had auto lockers front and rear and put it in 1st gear low range and drove at 5mph, and someone decided to tow you at 15mph would all 4 wheels disconnect and ratchet forwards ?
                            No wont work like that, if they are all on the ground it will spin at that speed regardless of locker or not, you would end up being pulled up to 15mph or slowing the other towing vehicle down to 5mph or somewhere in between.

The ratchet mechanism is between the left and right wheel allowing different speeds between the two wheels (hence the name differential)
                            With both wheels on the ground the diff will spin the driveshaft at a faster speed not ratchet the wheels.

Just think that if it were possible to ratchet/release the wheels allowing you to be towed faster that would mean your wheels would do this if you were to select reverse, and you wouldnt have reverse
                            Its a new truck, Because every parts been replaced

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwisurfing View Post

Just think that if it were possible to ratchet/release the wheels allowing you to be towed faster that would mean your wheels would do this if you were to select reverse, and you wouldnt have reverse
                              Haha - that makes sense Didn't think of that ..

Comment

Working...
                              X