Yet another problem; auto gear box sometimes gets "stuck"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another problem; auto gear box sometimes gets "stuck"

Hello all, as some of you might remember, my Surf had a pretty serious ATF problem. Water from the rad was mixing through a hole in the cooler. Well I bought a new cooler, and forgot to flush (really stupid of me). After wasting 5ltrs of ATF on nothing I flushed the thing with about 10ltrs of ATF. Most of the old fluid is gone. But some still remain since I can see a drop of it on the dipstick (its a really small amount). I ignored it.

But this happened: while driving when I come to a stop and try to go again the transmission kinda gets "stuck". I don't know how to put this but it feels like its in PARK even if it was in DRIVE. Eventually after a few high REVs the car will move with a burnout (cool... ). What do you think is the problem? The thing is making me look like an a** who is driving a manual car

Thanks,
    '94 Surf SSR-X --3.0l Turbo-KZN130W -- 400,000KMs

If you are getting a "burnout" before moving - are you sure the front brakes aren't binding?

jack the front up and try to spin the wheels by hand when the brakes are both warm and cool to check for sticky calipers

Comment

You may not have enough ATF in there. Do a search on how to check.
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Does sound like low fluid or the torque convertor has been damaged somehow. Low fluid level will stop the TC working properly. Did you use the correct ATF?
        Last edited by KERRSURF; 24 March 2013, 11:20.
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Yes, I used the correct ATF. Its DEXRON II. Low fluid level seems plausible since the dipstick reads a little below cold in the morning. I will fill in a bit.

About the brakes, I don't think they are the problem since this occurred after an ATF flush. Plus the problem even happens downhills. The car will coast but the accelerator just revs the car for a while, even if its in DRIVE.

[EDIT]...
          Just filled in about half a liter and drove about 20kms on it (with a lot of stops). Everything seems fine, the ride is smooth. I will check more but thanks for you help, as always.:

Cheers,
          Tamrat
          Last edited by tamrat; 24 March 2013, 12:33.
          '94 Surf SSR-X --3.0l Turbo-KZN130W -- 400,000KMs

Comment

Originally posted by tamrat View Post
            Yes, I used the correct ATF. Its DEXRON II. Low fluid level seems plausible since the dipstick reads a little below cold in the morning. I will fill in a bit.

About the brakes, I don't think they are the problem since this occurred after an ATF flush. Plus the problem even happens downhills. The car will coast but the accelerator just revs the car for a while, even if its in DRIVE.

[EDIT]...
            Just filled in about half a liter and drove about 20kms on it (with a lot of stops). Everything seems fine, the ride is smooth. I will check more but thanks for you help, as always.:

Cheers,
            Tamrat
            If it eases you Tamrat I have almost the same issue and it was low ATF that was the issue.. Sadly it still leaks so I need a new pipe but I was very glad it was only a leak!

Comment

Originally posted by tamrat View Post
              I will check more but thanks for you help, as always.
              When you check it, check it properly; not when it's cold.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Not wound up in 4wd are you?
                Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Tamrat, read and follow the instructions in the link below:

http://www.hiluxsurf.eu/faq_service.htm#autobox

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

If to much of the old fluid is left in the transmission it will contain water as the transmission spends a lot of its time working around the boiling point of water it will boil and cavitate the fluid this can cause the clutches to not operate correctly.
                    A small amount should not cause to much trouble but if it it showing on the dip stick you may need to drop the transmission sump to try and remove a little more.
                    ionic SURFactant

Comment

Originally posted by steved View Post
                      If to much of the old fluid is left in the transmission it will contain water as the transmission spends a lot of its time working around the boiling point of water it will boil and cavitate the fluid this can cause the clutches to not operate correctly.
                      A small amount should not cause to much trouble but if it it showing on the dip stick you may need to drop the transmission sump to try and remove a little more.
                      Are you saying the issue is too much water in his ATF?
                      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                        Are you saying the issue is too much water in his ATF?
                        If enough of the old contaminated fluid remains to register on the dipstick then it could be the problem, it will need at least a couple of transmission oil changes to get rid of most of it.
                        ionic SURFactant

Comment

Working...
                        X