• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.0 auto owners running stock tyres ?

What revs are you at driving at 70mph ?

Cheers,
    Rob.

Rob

I get about 2300 RPM once the engine is up to temp. FYI the old manual 4 runner i had sat at about 2700 RPM.

Regards

Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark.

Comment

about 2500 ish on the two trips i've made so far hah

Comment

Assuming you're both on 265 /70 tyres and a G294 diff ?

Thanks,
          Rob.

Comment

G294 yes,but running on 31's

Comment

About 2300 once warm, A340F diff, 265 70 16 GG's.

Ben

Comment

Thanks for all the info folks - I managed to find a bit more using the google search above for 'rpm' as well. (Which I should have done 1st, but have never noticed any chat about revs versus speed on this site before )

Rob.

Comment

What prompted the question Rob?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_D View Post
                    What prompted the question Rob?

I was trying to work out if the gear ratio graph I have was accurate - it reads that a standard truck on standard wheels should rev at approx 2500 at 65mph. (I'm approximating as it shows 29" and 31" tyres and stock are 29.5" so I went with ~30")

It says that 33" tyres on 4.88 diffs would give 2750 rpm at 65mph, which is pretty bang on to the 2800 rpm at 70mph that I get.

On the back roads the truck feels quite nippy and I really like it, however on the motorway I think it could cruise at 70 at a few hundred less rpm and possibly give me a few more mpg. Generally when I go camping I do about 1200 miles so a few more miles per gallon does make a difference (I'm getting 20 at the moment)

So if I was to drop to a 4.56 diff I'd be doing 2575 rpm at 70, which is still a bit higher than the stock trucks (which helps with the big wheels), but might make a difference to my consumption.

Cheers,
                    Rob.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I'd say it depends how often you drive on back roads, if that is your main driving then I wouldn't change it for the sake of an annual camping trip.
                      Difference would probably be quite big on at motorway speeds.
                      I get approx 540KM commuting (B roads), 560 at 70 MPH on motorway and have managed to get over 600KM out of a tank sitting at 60 on the motorway.

Cheers

Ben

Comment

Ben, are you sure the engine was running?

Comment

Are you sure? How many litres to fill up? I get 19 to 21 mpg out of mine on 48 to 52 litres-340 ish km on a tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimagtr21 View Post
                            Are you sure? How many litres to fill up? I get 19 to 21 mpg out of mine on 48 to 52 litres-340 ish km on a tank.
                            Exactly what I get! 325-350km, 51 odd litres each fill. Seems some of us are just not as light on the thottle!!!!!

Regards

Mark

Comment

Just noticed Ben has got a 3rd Gen.I think they are alot better on the juice.

Comment

Working...
                              X