Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When / how to use 4wd

Folks

I have this good guide on when and how to use 4wd, and it all make sense to me apart from L4L

When do you use L4L ? How does it differ from H4L ?

3rd Gen: The 3rd Gen Surf has a multi-mode 4wd system.

It may be used in 2wd Hi-ratio, driven by the rear wheels only, 4wd Hi-ratio with an open centre differential. 4wd Hi-ratio with the centre differential locked and 4wd Lo-Ratio with the centre differential locked.

H2: Rear wheel drive only: Normal operation, best for less wear & tear on components, best fuel economy & performance.

H4: 4 wheels driven, open centre differential: Press red button on side of 4wd selector. 4 wheel Indicator will illuminate in centre of dash when fully engaged. You may select/deselect this mode at speeds up to 100Kph. May be used anytime extra traction is desired

H4L: 4 wheels driven, centre differential locked: Move 4wd-selector lever fully back (position of button on side not important), 4 wheel Indicator and centre diff light will illuminate in centre of dash when fully engaged. You may select/deselect this mode at speeds up to 5Kph. Must only be used on loose surfaces such as mud, snow etc.

L4L
    : 4 wheels driven, centre differential locked, Lo-Ratio engaged: 4 wheel Indicator and centre diff light will illuminate in centre of dash when fully engaged. Select neutral on main gearbox, move 4wd selector-lever fully back, push to the right and then forwards.

Cheers + ATVB

Philip
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

Quite obvious really!

Low ratio engaged L4L,
    I take it you know what low ratio does???

Mark

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

"Quite obvious really" - Very helpful......Don't worry I have had a Google but was really hoping for a real world comment from someone offering their experience to the in-experienced.

Low-ratio gearbox.

A gearbox suitable for normal driving is not ideal for tackling extreme conditions like steep hills or very soft ground when off-roading. Consequently off-road cars are often fitted with a second, lower-ratio gearbox which means better traction. Low ratio is normally engaged by a second lever next to the main gear lever and turns the wheels slower, reducing the risk of losing grip.

Cheers + ATVB

Philip
      Last edited by Lightyear66; 21 March 2013, 14:58.

Comment

So you did'nt know what low ratio was all about!!

By the way,wind your neck in a bit,that kind of attitude won't get you any fans around here!!

Comment

Low ratio is only to be used at traffic lights.

Engage 4low, left foot on the brake and right foot to the floor on the accelerator.

Don't wait for green, go earlier because the Corsa that you are racing will have a weight advantage.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by s car go View Post
            So you did'nt know what low ratio was all about!!

By the way,wind your neck in a bit,that kind of attitude won't get you any fans around here!!
            And you could have made a small effort and just suggested when and why it would be used. If you had read what I originally posted you would have seen that each description suggested a usage for each selection.

I merely pre-empted your next useful suggestion of "do a search".

But thank you for your suggestion.
            Last edited by Lightyear66; 21 March 2013, 15:38.

Comment

Just got my popcorn and its all over
              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

If you'd read my response properly then you'd have realized that i was opening up the conversation,and not taking you for a numpty!!

5 Posts and 2 with negative comments. I'll be sure to reply to your posts again!!

Why am I having this conversation????

Comment

Use l4l for Steep off road descent, keeps it under better control so you dont need to brake meaning you dont lock up, skid and then speed up. Having the centre diff locked help traction on slippery surfaces but dont use it on the road.
                  well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Not all 3rd gen's have multi mode.
                    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

L4L[/B]: 4 wheels driven, centre differential locked, Lo-Ratio engaged: 4 wheel Indicator and centre diff light will illuminate in centre of dash when fully engaged. Select neutral on main gearbox, move 4wd selector-lever fully back, push to the right and then forwards.

Cheers + ATVB

Philip[/QUOTE]

Philip L4L gives you the maximum torque at the slowest speed. It will give control on descents and accents, the truck can however still slide on a wet/slippery decent if its steep enough so not full proof by any means.

In short:
                      Perfect for situation where loads of 4x4 grunt is required with the ability to stay in control and at low speed

H4 open does not exist on a non multi mode
                      Last edited by yoshie; 21 March 2013, 21:08.
                      Brian

Comment

Perfect - thank you

Thank you yoshie and muddle.

That is perfect....That is all I was asking for...A simple explanation of when and why for a novice Surf owner.

Many thanks and best regards.

Philip

Comment

Working...
                        X