Considering my first Hilux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering my first Hilux

1995 3L Surf, Automatic with 150,000 miles. Raised 2 inches front and back.

I'm a bit concerned about the car being an automatic, should I hold out for a manual. Does the auto gearbox run into problems after high mileage?

If you search gumtree for 100536506 you can see the truck I'mcconsidering.

The auto's are a good truck and you don't often get problems with them.You should ok with it
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

As above, Personally I would be prepared to fit an ATF cooler if it doesn't have one already. The rad is small enough as it is. Not that I would have an auto anyway they are boring. But that is my preference, mechanically you rarely hear of any problems with them which stands for something.

Comment

Auto is a better choice than a manual in the surf, it is also by far the most common.

Once you live within auto surf for a few weeks you will never consider a manual.
        Also great off road as you have no clutch to dip so no interruption to drive, ideal for a novice.
        Last edited by yoshie; 3 March 2013, 17:44.
        Brian

Comment

I went to view and test drive the aforementioned Surf. No weird knocks bumps or noises, everything seems fine with the running of the engine.

I've never driven an auto before, is it normal for the auto gear box to make a spinning up sound as it goes higher in the gear before changing. This is the only sound I noticed.

Also the guy told me the rear door doesn't open as the window is broken and you need the window down to open the door. Is this correct? He said the motor and regulator are removed and the glass is just propped up inside the rear door.

Also he doesn't have an ATF cooler fitted. Realistically how much would the parts cost so I can get the price lowered on the car?

Comment

The window does have to retract for the rear door to be able to open.

The whole rear door setup on the Gen 2s is actually a nicer feature ( in my view, having owned both sorts ) than that in the Gen 3.

In the gen 2 door opens downwards to form a useful platform when loading stuff. In the Gen 3 it opens upwards and if you don't watch it it can have your eye out at the corner. Plus then you don't have the useful platform etc..

I would not touch one myself if that feature is damaged in any way. Who would repair it in Ireland ? How do you know the repair will stay repaired ?

Unless current owner is prepared to have it fully repaired you might be better off lining up several to view over a weekend in England ?

Comment

Originally posted by smokinmonkey View Post
              I went to view and test drive the aforementioned Surf. No weird knocks bumps or noises, everything seems fine with the running of the engine.

I've never driven an auto before, is it normal for the auto gear box to make a spinning up sound as it goes higher in the gear before changing. This is the only sound I noticed.

Also the guy told me the rear door doesn't open as the window is broken and you need the window down to open the door. Is this correct? He said the motor and regulator are removed and the glass is just propped up inside the rear door.
              !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
              if the seller could'nt repair or spend the cash & then bodged the rear window
              what else has he bodged on the vehicle.unless it's very very cheap,i'd walk away
              !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also he doesn't have an ATF cooler fitted. Realistically how much would the parts cost so I can get the price lowered on the car?

you do'nt require a separate atf oil cooler
              Robert

Comment

Our Surf came with a jammed rear window motor. Easy to change, I found a reconditioned motor on ebay for £45.

The ATF cooler, from what I have read, is only worth bothering with if you intend to spend a lot of time towing or offroad in low-ratio mode. If you do it yourself, the least you can expect to spend is £60.

Comment

Originally posted by smokinmonkey View Post
                  Yes, it's the torque converter matching engine torque to drive speed. You'll notice if you stamp on the gas, the engine will spin up more than your increase in speed - except in top gear when the torque converter will lock up somewhere between 45 and 55mph depending on load.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

If the truck looks good don't be put off by the back window, it's an easy fix.
                    Auto box is almost bomb as well.
                    Trans cooler only really needed if you tow heavy or abuse it!

Comment

I am by no means an expert on the Surf, but id say that looks like a good truck, the tyres will last you donkeys years, which have got to be worth £300!

Im now on my second Surf, the first being a 2nd gen, and my rear window didnt operate from the key, I had to lower it down using the switch inside the car.

There is not that much that can go wrong with the rear window set up, usual suspects are the motor, the switch in the boot lid, or the wiring between the boot lid and the body. It usually breaks in the "Open " part of the loom, this is the bit that sits in the middle between the body and the boot lid.

All the above are easy repairs, which can be done with little mechanical knowledge, but youve found the right place for help and assistance should you require it.

As for an Auto, my first Surf in 2009 was an Auto, and every car Ive had since (Except for a Combo Van) has been an Auto. The trick is to tuck your Left leg far away from the peddles as possible, you will soon get the hang of it.

Start at £1700 and work your way up.
                      Last edited by ronsarrox; 13 March 2013, 09:34.
                      Keep On Truckin!

Comment

Having owned a manual Surf I'd chip in and say Auto every time.

The gear change is a tad agricultural and once you begin reading about dual mass flywheels you'll soil your self with fright.

I have a plan to own another Surf in the future and it will have an auto box. I've never owned an auto before either which was why I bought the manual, it was definitely a mistake....IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                          Auto is a better choice than a manual in the surf, it is also by far the most common.

Once you live within auto surf for a few weeks you will never consider a manual.
                          Also great off road as you have no clutch to dip so no interruption to drive, ideal for a novice.
                          I would have to agree with all of that, never owned an Auto until my Surf, and would never look back and have a manual...

Comment

I actually like the heavy clunking manual

Comment

Originally posted by Ambobeer View Post
                              Having owned a manual Surf I'd chip in and say Auto every time.

The gear change is a tad agricultural and once you begin reading about dual mass flywheels you'll soil your self with fright.

I have a plan to own another Surf in the future and it will have an auto box. I've never owned an auto before either which was why I bought the manual, it was definitely a mistake....IMHO
                              I wouldn't call it a mistake.... more a learning curve (had my 2.4 manual 6n half years no bother) but a 3.0l Auto is just a different style of driving (the norm for me now)

11+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
                              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                              X