Time Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Team

Nothing to do with Surf's at all,but I just have to ask.

Personally I find archeology a fascinating subject and believe that it is a good thing that we increase our knowledge about our past and our ancestor's,but when you see that wally Robinson wandering round Britain digging up all and sundry,waving his arms around like a propellor,I get the impression that all they are really interested in is the amount of "grave goods" they can find.They dont seem to be too concerned with the fact that the skeleton and the grave goods were laid to rest,probably by a loved one,to await the call from the big man upstair's,whenever that might be,whoever "He" might be, depending on your religion.

When plans were passed to develop the old Spitalfield's site in London several year's ago they found around 9000 skeletons.

The question is.....What happens afterwards to the skeleton's that they exhume,are they stuck on a shelf in a cardboard box somewhere indefinitely,or as it should be,after a certain amount of study,are they given a fitting reburial later on,somewhere appropriate.
    I cant use the phrase "christian burial" or even "consecrated ground" as we dont know what their religious leanings were,but out of respect they should not be just left topside to be studied by some spotty oik in a lumberjack shirt.
    If the skeletons are reburied later,are the grave goods interred with the skeleton,or do we keep them in a museum somewhere.In my opinion there used to be a name for that,GRAVEROBBING.

Anybody got an answer for me please,its puzzled me for years.

Britain has got a whole museum full of that kind of stuff just off Great Russell Street in London. A lot of it not even dug up in Britain

Comment

Devizes an Salisbury museums have loads of stuff dug up from around Stonehenge and other sites around here ..... Even Avebury has it's own Museum .
      ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

They get moved to consecrated ground. It costs a big pile of cash.

Comment

Working...
        X