Builder's questions - Sandstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Builder's questions - Sandstone

I have a reasonably old flat, certainly pre 1800, that I have 2 questions about.

First off, the outside is starting to wear quite badly, is there a way to slow the erosion down?

Secondly, I want to use one of the internal walls as a feature wall, what's the best way to seal the wall once the plaster is off and it's been cleaned up?

Cheers for any advice offered.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

At that age I would be surprised if it wasn't a listed building - so make friends with the local planning department - they'll give you free (and valid) advice.

Comment

Pre-1800? Nice - got any pics? Outside and inside. Have you got all the deeds and old paperwork to go with it?

Our place is <1820 and the paperwork makes fascinating reading and opens up lots of avenues for web research.

Two highlights are it was owned by the civil engineer who designed Worcester's deep sewer system in 1870's, and the chap who owned the Nags Head (the best pub in the civilised world) towards the end of that century.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I suppose its good to know they could get you out the $hit when you need a drink!
        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
          I have a reasonably old flat, certainly pre 1800, that I have 2 questions about.

First off, the outside is starting to wear quite badly, is there a way to slow the erosion down?

Secondly, I want to use one of the internal walls as a feature wall, what's the best way to seal the wall once the plaster is off and it's been cleaned up?

Cheers for any advice offered.
          The first thing I would say is don't seal the outside with any kind of coating - it will trap water and make the problem a million times worse. You can get all sorts of resinous sealers but, again, I wouldn't bother even trying. Opinions are divided (mostly down the lines of who sells them and who doesn't) but the stones have been there for over 200 years and are beginning to show a bit, so there's not going to be a problem in your lifetime.

Just varnish (water-based, slightly diluted) the internal wall.

Comment

Thanks for the advice chaps, I'll leave the outside well alone (apart from the bits I have to do to make it safe).

Andy - The building is an old Coaching Inn. When I moved in it still had gaslight fittings on the outside walls, the garage for the carriage and a 4 horse stable with a hay loft round the back.

I have some, but not all of the deeds. The first recorded sale of the building was in 1800, but the price isn't mentioned.

The interior has been heavily modified over the years and there's nothing original left. I'm renovating it and do intend to put some of the period stuff back in, but I'm not sure if it'll be possible. I'll be doing some research on the building and will post up any interesting stuff as I find it, I don't think there'll be any pictures of it as an Inn though.

Comment

Thanks for the advice chaps, I'll leave the outside well alone (apart from the bits I have to do to make it safe).

Andy - The building is an old Coaching Inn. When I moved in it still had gaslight fittings on the outside walls, the garage for the carriage and a 4 horse stable with a hay loft round the back.

I have some, but not all of the deeds. The first recorded sale of the building was in 1800, but the price isn't mentioned.

The interior has been heavily modified over the years and there's nothing original left. I'm renovating it and do intend to put some of the period stuff back in, but I'm not sure if it'll be possible. I'll be doing some research on the building and will post up any interesting stuff as I find it, I don't think there'll be any pictures of it as an Inn though.
              Sounds like a fantastic project, Andy. Look forward to seeing lots of pics.
              " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
                Sounds like a fantastic project, Andy. Look forward to seeing lots of pics.
                It's taken me 24 years to start it!

Comment

I'll be doing some research on the building and will post up any interesting stuff as I find it, I don't think there'll be any pictures of it as an Inn though.
                  You may be aware of this already. Excellent source of old Scottish photographs - you might be lucky.
                  http://www.scran.ac.uk/

Comment

Working...
                  X