Timing Belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Belt

As Roughtrax now supply an alternate cam belt kit with idler pulley at a very competitive price, have any of you had any experience with this, ie oe or oe quality?
    Do I get the cheaper oe quality kit or stick with oe?

Whilst I am changing the cam belt is there anything I should consider doing?

Water pump was change recently.

Ta.
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Check Front crank seal and best have one spare in case.
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Do you know what make it is?
      well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

@ Luke The belt is "solid ace Dayco" ?

@ Ian Front crank seal added to shopping list
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post

@ Ian Front crank seal added to shopping list
          Yours is a 3.0 ?(I think ?) - you don't need to remove the harmonic balancer to do the cambelt.

I used Toyota belts on my truck because they're not too expensive, but have used pattern belts on all my old commuter cars and never had a problem with them.

Comment

Sorry should have specified that it is a 2.4
            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Oh ok - Best check the crankseal then

Comment

Gates are the OEM manufacturer for the Toyota can belts. I prefer them over the Dayco, which do not have the best reputation. Always use the genuine seals though.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                  Gates are the OEM manufacturer for the Toyota can belts. I prefer them over the Dayco, which do not have the best reputation. Always use the genuine seals though.

Nev
                  Do you know if the seals Roughtrax sell are genuine?

I also noticed Roughtrax sell a non genuine pulley as part of the genuine cam belt / tensioner kit, what's your opinion on the pulley?

Price is very good considering the pulley seems to be 1/3 the price of a genuine one from Toyota but I'm not sure if its a risk..

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
                    I think for the sake of piece of mind I will stick with the OEM option, especially with the whirring and rotating bits.
                    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by mullinsj View Post
                      Do you know if the seals Roughtrax sell are genuine?
                      No idea but the price seems low for genuine. Call and ask them.

Originally posted by mullinsj View Post
                      I also noticed Roughtrax sell a non genuine pulley as part of the genuine cam belt / tensioner kit, what's your opinion on the pulley?
                      Could be ok as long as it has Japanese bearings. The one I buy are branded Koyo, which are exactly the same as what's in the Toyota box.

Nev.

Comment

Working...
                      X