No announcement yet.

.22 air rifle oponions please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pro's and cons of 22 vs 177 have been going on for ever! I've used both over 30 yrs. They both do the job it's a matter of preference. The main issue is practice, when you can hit a 10p at 30yrds (standing up no rest!!) then you can think about shooting rabbits etc. I mainly use an air arms 22 springer at the moment which is excellent if a touch heavy on a long days shoot, but still get out the webley vulcan .177 (30 odd yrs old). Go with something you're comfortable with and get a half decent scope and it doesn't have to be fancy ie spot a gnat at 500yrd just good optics. As for pellets I stick with H&N RWS and Air Arms if the shop that sells you the rifle is worth their salt they should be able to give you a suitable match and have a chronograph to give you the power figures if you're that bothered. Be safe and have fun!

Comment

Personally I would go with at pneumatic at least two shot for humane reasons
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

re

could try shooting some Talunex pellets at the rabbits, one pellet many kills

Comment

Originally posted by Arkamelis View Post
          could try shooting some Talunex pellets at the rabbits, one pellet many kills
          Just go the whole hog and use a M141A
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by chefbondy View Post
            The pro's and cons of 22 vs 177 have been going on for ever! I've used both over 30 yrs. They both do the job it's a matter of preference. The main issue is practice, when you can hit a 10p at 30yrds (standing up no rest!!) then you can think about shooting rabbits etc. I mainly use an air arms 22 springer at the moment which is excellent if a touch heavy on a long days shoot, but still get out the webley vulcan .177 (30 odd yrs old). Go with something you're comfortable with and get a half decent scope and it doesn't have to be fancy ie spot a gnat at 500yrd just good optics. As for pellets I stick with H&N RWS and Air Arms if the shop that sells you the rifle is worth their salt they should be able to give you a suitable match and have a chronograph to give you the power figures if you're that bothered. Be safe and have fun!
            Those of us in the know will agree that .177 is primarily used for targets. A well placed shot with a .177 will indeed kill a Rabbit cleanly and out right. But a Rabbit will not sit still like a Paper target, and if you are lamping at night wind blowing Truck around excited Lab watching Bunny from back, Its a totally diferrent ball game in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Koi View Post
              Personally I would go with at pneumatic at least two shot for humane reasons
              Quite agree Nigel, Sometimes when we go out my Brother will bring his Theoben 12 shot FAC Doing around 36 Foot pounds, awesome quiet and deadly. But I feel without a shadow of doubt the 17hmr is the ultimate humane way of killing quarry up to Hare, and Fox at smaller range, just cant take the Rabbits to the Game dealers !..

Comment

Fallen for the air arms tx200. Felt lovely.
                well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

i just finished a rebuild on a hw77 its a early model from the early 80's
                  its heavy tho tiz my only problem
                  i just poped some scopes on it not five mins ago
                  and sat down to have shufty on here and spotted this thread

i have not been on for ages

anyhow its back to hibernation for me before i spike all ya commys for mounths
                  am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

George !!!

Did you spike my wife's laptop ???

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

The deed was done I have bought an air arms tx200. So happy.

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
                        The deed was done I have bought an air arms tx200. So happy.
                        You won't go far wrong with that, good rifle.
                        Neal

Comment

Nice one, lets us know how you get on with it, Some piccys ?

Comment

good choice, by all accounts a very sound gun, quite fancied the pro-sport version but opted for the S410 F TDR to go with my webley alecto pistol, both .22, well pleased with both altho iv,e not put many slugs thru the TDR yet.

ship

Comment

I'll take some pics when it arrives, I got the mk1 tx200. Gorgeous looking rifle.

Comment

Working...
                              X