yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for different 3rd Gen Wheel Arches, getting rid of the door panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for different 3rd Gen Wheel Arches, getting rid of the door panels?

Hi all, long time no visit here :-)

I'm looking to do some work on my 3rd Gen. I am planning to change the bumper / wheel arch / side panel colour. I got a quote for £450 keeping it all on, or £650 taking it all off to change the colour. This made me think of other options, like DIY!

Anyway, the main point is I'd love to loose the side panels on the doors, and just have wheel arches and bumpers. You see a lot of Yankee 4 Runners like this, for example:

So, question is, where can I got the wheel arches to do that?

FWICS, the standard UK issue ones need changed as the existing ones have lead-ins to the door side panels.

Anyone got any ideas?

I'm thinking doing this would mean less work / money for the rest of the job...

What?

I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Are those two pictures supposed to be the same or different, are they what you have now or what you'd like to have?

Comment

Isn't the second one Vince's? If you lose the doors you'll fall out.

Comment

@ Dodge

The op wants to take off the plastic side panels, but the wheel arches have "lead ins" for them, so he needs new arches.
        Those 2 trucks are not the same, surely you can see that?
        They do, however have no "lead ins" in their wheel arches...
        HTH!
        ETA

And Vince's aint nowhere near as shiny as that first one, despite him being diagnosed as clinically clean...
        Last edited by Wolfracer; 7 February 2013, 22:25.
        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Thanks for translating, worfracer.

The pics above are what I'd like to have. My 3rd gen has the usual plastic panels all round the car, including on the doors. I wanna loose the bits on the doors.

You can see the plastic side panels in the pic linked to below. You can see that the rear one includes the wheel arch that is part of the rear door, and the front one has the 'lead in' to the plastic panel on the front door.

So, I need to find wheel arches that don't lead into the plastic door side panels.

Big pic is at http://cache4.pakwheels.com/2011/car...997-398381.jpg
          Last edited by joecuba; 7 February 2013, 23:26.

Comment

Now worfracer has translated for us, have you considered just shaping and filling your arches?
            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Maybe something like this http://www.4x4at.com/toyota-4-runner...es-set-4pc-kit (but in stock).

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                Now worfracer has translated for us, have you considered just shaping and filling your arches?
                Yeh this is a possibility. The thought of fiberglas / filler work doesn't fill me with glee though... messy and hard to get looking good unless ur skilled!

Anyone know how the door trims are held on? There isn't holes in the door is there?

Is the paint on the door likely to be a different shade after 17 years in the cover of the plastic trim?

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                  No probrem.
                  You've got to be good to firr and shape arches to make them rook as good as stock. Bodywork is quite a skirr, especiarry on curved surfaces.
                  "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                    The op wants to take off the plastic side panels, but the wheel arches have "lead ins" for them, so he needs new arches.
                    Those 2 trucks are not the same, surely you can see that?
                    They do, however have no "lead ins" in their wheel arches...
                    HTH!
                    ETA

And Vince's aint nowhere near as shiny as that first one, despite him being diagnosed as clinically clean...
                    I can see they're different trucks, I could also see they were the same in the wheel arch area. Would have been easier to understand if he'd posted an as is pic with the side panels and a how I'd like it pic. Until I googled "hair dressers car" I didn't know what was meant by side panels.

I don't know if 2nd Gen arches have the same radius, but their arch extensions don't have the side panels so would give the desired look.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodge View Post
                      Until I googled "hair dressers car" I didn't know what was meant by side panels.
                      Seen on an MX-5 in Bristol:

"No hairdressing equipment is left in this vehicle overnight"

Maybe I should get a sticker like that made up for my 3rd gen?

IMHO some of the tupperware added to the car enhances the... more... feminine side of the 3rd gen. Hence why I want to get rid / paint stuff black.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodge View Post
                        I don't know if 2nd Gen arches have the same radius, but their arch extensions don't have the side panels so would give the desired look.
                        Would they fit?

Would that make mine a 2/3 gen?

Comment

Originally posted by joecuba View Post
                          Seen on an MX-5 in Bristol:

"No hairdressing equipment is left in this vehicle overnight"

Maybe I should get a sticker like that made up for my 3rd gen?

IMHO some of the tupperware added to the car enhances the... more... feminine side of the 3rd gen. Hence why I want to get rid / paint stuff black.
                          I'd love a 3rd Gen, for the 4wd system and rear door alone. But you're right about the excess plastic.

Would they fit?

Would that make mine a 2/3 gen?
                          Don't know, you need to talk to someone who's had both or a breaker who could offer them up to see if they fit.

Comment

Bump - anyone know where I can get 3rd gen wheel arches as described?

Comment

Working...
                            X