Need some pointers please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some pointers please

Hi, new on this forum and new to 4x4s. A few of my mates are into offroading and all that and have got me interested in it too so I'm now looking to buy a hilux surf (or maybe pick up), not for serious off roading but just for a bit of fun and as a daily drive.

Ideally after a 2.4 TD, any trim spec. I am aware that they have issues with the cylinder head cracking and I'm assuming this is with all the 2.4s? Also issues with the automatic transmission oil coolers getting coolant in the oil ways.

If anyone could point me in the right direction as to what to look for when buying, what models to go for and where to find a decent one for a reasonable price it would be greatly appriciated. Thanks, Chris.

Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Hi Chris why are you after the 2.4? Why not look at the 3.0 td what is your budget to buy one ? Mine is up for sale at the moment if your interested.
      Always up to my neck in it

Comment

Originally posted by ezza24 View Post
        Hi Chris why are you after the 2.4? Why not look at the 3.0 td what is your budget to buy one ? Mine is up for sale at the moment if your interested.
        Apart from the blatant plug I still think that your offering is still too expensive
        FYI
        http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1501?logcode=p
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I have dropped the price and it dose say OPEN TO OFFERS , the only reason I mentioned mine is because he said he want to do some offroading and still be able to drive it everyday , which is exactly what I have built mine for .
          Always up to my neck in it

Comment

Hi, thanks for the replys. That's a bit dear for me, looking at spending around 1500 maybe 2000 max. Could I get my hands on a decent one for that?

A 3.0 is definatly an option, just assuming it would be a bit more expensive on insurance as I'm in my early twenties and I'm still paying through the nose for insurance.

Am I right in saying the 3.0s have the same issue with the head cracking/blowing as the 2.4? Thanks..

Comment

You will get a very nice 3.0 for under 2k
              Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                You will get a very nice 3.0 for under 2k
                ...and it won't be anywhere near as prone to head issues as a 2.4!

Comment

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
                  ...and it won't be anywhere near as prone to head issues as a 2.4!

I think you will find that a few 3.0 heads are starting to fail also.

Put into perspective how many twenty year old cars do you see on the road today?
                  Not too many I bet.
                  Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                    I think you will find that a few 3.0 heads are starting to fail also.

Put into perspective how many twenty year old cars do you see on the road today?
                    Not too many I bet.
                    Age has nothing to do with it. It is the mileage that counts. I work with people who manage fleets, maybe 10, 15 offroad vehicles, used in mining, safari operations, medical NGOs etc. The decent toyota engines such as 3RZ, 1 HZ, KZ-TE, 3L, 5L and a few others often clock 300/400K in dusty, hot conditions without ever being "opened".

The 2LTEs ( expecially in the Surf, some of the ones fitted in the pick ups, hi-aces etc are more durable) all "pop" at some stage, sometimes twice (after their first head replacement) hence around here they have disappeared through a process of almost Darwinian natural selection. A lot of them have relatively low mileages.
                    Poor channeling design? Smaller radiators? The forums worldwide are full of theories, however the fact is that the 2.4 is a poorly designed engine, expecially by toyota standards...
                    Last edited by tashtego; 25 January 2013, 12:10.

Comment

You are right age has nothing to do with it, and mileage has neither.
                      I should have been more specific.

I was trying to highlight the fact that on a 20 year old motor you should expect a few problems, and the good ones are normally cared for and repaired by owners with probably a little OCD.
                      I was under the impression that under normal use the 2.4 was ok and the head issue only appeared after a over heated system had occurred. Out of all the engine types that you have mentioned the only two that are in the OP's price/insurance range are the 2lte and 3l.

While I may agree with you with regards to the head issue this hardly helps the OP with his search for a suitable truck.
                      A good cared for 2.4 with a history of receipts, especially with a receipt for a new head rad and water pump will be far better proposition than an unknown 3l motor.

Yes you are right that the over heating problem has been covered ad nauseum.

Out of all the engine types that you have mentioned the only two that are in the OP's price/insurance range are the 2lte and 3l.
                      Hence the reason why I posted the link to the 1995 3.0 to show the OP an example of what is out there.
                      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                        You are right age has nothing to do with it, and mileage has neither.
                        I should have been more specific.

I was trying to highlight the fact that on a 20 year old motor you should expect a few problems, and the good ones are normally cared for and repaired by owners with probably a little OCD.
                        I was under the impression that under normal use the 2.4 was ok and the head issue only appeared after a over heated system had occurred. Out of all the engine types that you have mentioned the only two that are in the OP's price/insurance range are the 2lte and 3l.

While I may agree with you with regards to the head issue this hardly helps the OP with his search for a suitable truck.
                        A good cared for 2.4 with a history of receipts, especially with a receipt for a new head rad and water pump will be far better proposition than an unknown 3l motor.

Yes you are right that the over heating problem has been covered ad nauseum.

Out of all the engine types that you have mentioned the only two that are in the OP's price/insurance range are the 2lte and 3l.
                        Hence the reason why I posted the link to the 1995 3.0 to show the OP an example of what is out there.
                        Sure, you are quite right, maintenance and a good history are crucial, unfortunately some 2.4 can have recurring head/overheating problems, even with a new head, especially if the job of fitting the new head hasn't been done properly(and over here it rarely has, and the heads are cheapo chinese heads). For what I see on ebay etc, I think that in UK prices of the 3.0 surf, 2nd Gen, are not much higher than a 2.4, so if I was in the OP's shoes I'd wait for a decent 3.0 litre. As you say, best thing wld be to buy from an OCD forum member,then he should have peace of mind!
                        Last edited by tashtego; 25 January 2013, 20:44.

Comment

Thanks again for the replies!

Got good idea of what im looking for now. What sort of mileage is "acceptable" for a 3.0. For example I've mostly owned VW tdis and would have no problem buying one with 150+ k on it. What about for surf 3.0? Also what sort of mileage is most common for the head to go? Obviously it depends on how well its been looked after but is there a point where most begin to have problems?

I know I'm probably not going to get one that has no problems but I just want to know what sort of issues to expect for one with say 100k on it?

Comment

I think this head has gone.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post

I think this head has gone.

Attached Files
                              " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Working...
                              X