The first barrage of questions !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first barrage of questions !

So had the Surf a couple of weeks so getting use to it now so just got a few questions on if things are normal

Engine getting up to temperature is tiwce as quick than my old TD5 and the heaters are warm quicker to - anything to worry about ?

Tyre pressures on a 265 75 16 tyre size should be ?

I need to swap my front brake calipers from the standard ones to some rebuilt 2.4 ones. Is everything the same and what parts will I need ?

Also got a small water leak when it rains now and then. Passenger front a pillar trim right at the top gets a drip on it that falls onto the seat bolster - anything common I should be looking at ?

Simple for you chaps but confusing for me lol

Surfs do warm up very quick - nothing to worry about.

Try 29 - 31 psi for the tyres. I ran 31 psi on mine but was often heavily loaded.

I'm think there may be 2 different calipers on the 2.4 - there's definately 2 different disc sizes so have a search and find out.

Check your door seals for the leak. If the door is a bit loose at the top you can play with the hinge mounts.

Comment

The earlier 2.4's had different calipers on them compared to the later facelift models
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Do you actually have a 2.4 cos the standard wheel on them is a 15" ...

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Paul put your truck details in your profile so we can answer your questions better and quickly

Comment

As long as the warming up is ok thats a worry eased from the mind

Ill stick them up to 30 and see how I get on - what signs will I find to tell me if I need to go higher or lower ?

I dont know what year the rebuilt 2.4 calipers are off as they came with the truck.

I dont have a 2.4 - I have a 3.0 Gen 2 but with gen 3 wheels and bigger tyres

Ive updated the info in the "vehicle" and "modifications" sections with what I know. I dont know what engine or body code I have though

Comment

Right the later 2.4 calipers will fit the 3.0 2nd gen,but not the early 2.4 ones.You should be able to see the difference in size of the calipers if they were from the early 2.4
              Tyre pressures are different really as it depends on how you drive.I always had mine set to 32psi.Have a mess about with the pressures and see what your happy with as thats the best way to find out.Some have 34psi in them

Comment

Aslong as it will be obvious if they fit or not thats cool just didnt know if there were slight differences that might catch me out

Ill get some new fluid for the system while im at it

Ill go for 30 / 32 and see how it rides - Id prefer it to be firm rather than rolly

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                Right the later 2.4 calipers will fit the 3.0 2nd gen,but not the early 2.4 ones.You should be able to see the difference in size of the calipers if they were from the early 2.4
                Tyre pressures are different really as it depends on how you drive.I always had mine set to 32psi.Have a mess about with the pressures and see what your happy with as thats the best way to find out.Some have 34psi in them

Comment

the earlier ones are a bit smaller than the ones you have fitted o the truck

Comment

Hi paul, firstly the engine does warm up nice and quick.
                    The tyres have been at about 30psi.
                    The calipers are from a 94 2nd gen 2.4, I wouldnt have refurbished them or given them to you with the truck if I hadnt checked that they are a correct fit, Surfs are generally a "right bitch" to bleed so if poss you should clamp off the brake lines, put the new calipers and new pads on, bleed and check eveything. Then if you want to replace the fluid put fresh stuff in gradually and bleed the old out!
                    If you empty the system I guarantee you will have problems when you try to fill and bleed
                    ( had to have mine pressure bled on my 2.4 and the brakes were never great afterwards)

Alan
                    www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Paulpen View Post
                      So had the Surf a couple of weeks so getting use to it now so just got a few questions on if things are normal

Engine getting up to temperature is tiwce as quick than my old TD5 and the heaters are warm quicker to - anything to worry about ?

Tyre pressures on a 265 75 16 tyre size should be ?

I need to swap my front brake calipers from the standard ones to some rebuilt 2.4 ones. Is everything the same and what parts will I need ?

Also got a small water leak when it rains now and then. Passenger front a pillar trim right at the top gets a drip on it that falls onto the seat bolster - anything common I should be looking at ?

Simple for you chaps but confusing for me lol
                      Are you expecting different answers to your questions on here compared to the Pickup website?

Comment

Not expecting different answers - just wanting to ask as many people as possible as expect not all the people are on both forums

Thanks for the respone Alan - didnt want to keep hassling you via PM

Thanks for the tip with the bleeding - is pressure bleeding the preferd method over the standard way then ?

Comment

Originally posted by Paulpen View Post
                          Not expecting different answers - just wanting to ask as many people as possible as expect not all the people are on both forums

Thanks for the respone Alan - didnt want to keep hassling you via PM

Thanks for the tip with the bleeding - is pressure bleeding the preferd method over the standard way then ?
                          Tyres = 4psi rule
                          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                          X