mot fail emissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mot fail emissions

failed mot today on offside front gaitor and emissions,the average emissions was 7.33(max is 3)had all new filters 10 months ago, the guy in the garage reckons might have to strip head off or sommat because it could be coked up inside,he also sad it may need new injectors, which is fair enough but will this cost me an arm n a leg, as if you go into a garage and they dont exactly know they end up stinging you for shedloads!
    is there a quick fix on the emissions? i put redex in yesterday and took it up the motorway this morning, oh, and any idea how much a front constant velocity joint gaitor is to have done?
    they dont do any of this at the mot place

cheers........mick

That Diesel Rhino is good, so I've heard.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
      That Diesel Rhino is good, so I've heard.

i've already got go fast stripes, dont need it

Comment

Originally posted by angloabroad View Post
        failed mot today on offside front gaitor and emissions,the average emissions was 7.33(max is 3)had all new filters 10 months ago, the guy in the garage reckons might have to strip head off or sommat because it could be coked up inside,he also sad it may need new injectors, which is fair enough but will this cost me an arm n a leg, as if you go into a garage and they dont exactly know they end up stinging you for shedloads!
        is there a quick fix on the emissions? i put redex in yesterday and took it up the motorway this morning, oh, and any idea how much a front constant velocity joint gaitor is to have done?
        they dont do any of this at the mot place

cheers........mick

I suspect they tested when the engine was cold?
        Diesel engines need to be hot before testing for emissions, the MOT tester knows that but is baffling you with bullcrap as he is regarding the head needing to come off and injectors re-newing.
        Using veg-oil will reduce emissions as will emptying a bottle of Redex into a new fuel filter before fitting.

Which CV gaitor, inner or outer?

Comment

hi vince, its the offside outer front gaitor, he reckoned the boys in the shop couldn't do it because they've never done them type of hubs before!!

i did run up to pontypridd and back before i took it in, the last 2 mot's he's barely touched the throttle to get it within the correct emissions but this time he was alot more heavy with it, so i might just chuck shedloads of injector cleaner in for a few days see how that does, i did put a full bottle of redex in yesterday though

Comment

the last 2 mot's he's barely touched the throttle to get it within the correct emissions but this time he was alot more heavy with it,
            Dose'nt the UK test involve an idle check and a rev the bollox off it emmisions test!!

Comment

i think so, its a bit of both, rev n leave for 10secs,rev n leave and so on for a few times,
              after reading old posts on here i'm hoping to just fill with injector cleaner and chuck in some veg thrash it around for a while and bobs ya uncle

Comment

Wasnt much when i got the CV boots changed & this may help http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/cvjoints.htm
                The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

yeah i saw that and the other "how to" pics thread on here, and yep it looks easy enough, but being totally clueless with cars i have a question.

theres no mention or pics of when you've undone all the hub nuts n stuff, it says your ready to take the cv/axle/shaft wotsit out, what about the big disc and brake calipers, do these come off first,then the cv/axle/shaft wotsit, or does it all come off together?

it may be totally obvious to some but if ya never done it,ya never know eh

even on the tube they just seem to have the cv out and no mention of the rest of the wheel,

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71734

in this thread he says remove the 54mm nut and now you can remove the cv, in the next pics....wheres the wheel/disc/calipers gone?

Comment

yeah i saw that and the other "how to" pics thread on here, and yep it looks easy enough, but being totally clueless with cars i have a question.

theres no mention or pics of when you've undone all the hub nuts n stuff, it says your ready to take the cv/axle/shaft wotsit out, what about the big disc and brake calipers, do these come off first,then the cv/axle/shaft wotsit, or does it all come off together?

it may be totally obvious to some but if ya never done it,ya never know eh

even on the tube they just seem to have the cv out and no mention of the rest of the wheel,

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71734

in this thread he says remove the 54mm nut and now you can remove the cv, in the next pics....wheres the wheel/disc/calipers gone?

Want me to fit it Saturday for you Mick?
                    Only a 30 min job.

Comment

hi mate, would be geat if ya could, misses flapping at me breaking stuff.

should i order one from roughtrax or do fastparts do them?

and what does happen the brake discs n stuff?

wot biccys do your dogs like?

Comment

hi mate, would be geat if ya could, misses flapping at me breaking stuff.

should i order one from roughtrax or do fastparts do them?

and what does happen the brake discs n stuff?

wot biccys do your dogs like?
                        Roughtrax would be better.

The brake disc, hub and caliper just unbolt and are set aside while the gaiter is changed.

We don't give the dogs biscuits, they're on a raw meat diet.

Comment

ok mate, i'll order one now, anytime saturday ok? not working at the mo so could do in the week if that would suit you better, well, once the part comes that is.

Comment

ok mate, i'll order one now, anytime saturday ok? not working at the mo so could do in the week if that would suit you better, well, once the part comes that is.
                            Anytime Friday or Saturday is fine, just turn up I'll be in the garage anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                              Anytime Friday or Saturday is fine, just turn up I'll be in the garage anyway.
                              Pretending to do lexurf? Or are you going to update us sometime?????
                              well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Working...
                              X