wise words from the 1800's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wise words from the 1800's

There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person’s lawful prey.

It is unwise to pay too much, but it is also unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought is incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot…..It can’t be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.

John Ruskin (1819-1900)

"Never eat yellow snow"

Anon 2013
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Don't chop wood in a rubber dinghy.
      Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
        Don't chop wood in a rubber dinghy.

Don't buy a Fiat Multipla........
        " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
          Don't buy a Fiat Multipla........
          oooh, Low shot.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Keep your friends close...keep your enemies...err...imprisoned, beaten and hungry.
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
              oooh, Low shot.

My speciality.............Don't feel too bad though, John. I had to drive round in these for a year.
              Attached Files
              " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

You could get one on either foot Mick!
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

I always thought that Popeye was the oldest member, but I dont think even he was around in the 1800s, so I guess that makes DavidB our oldest.
                  Сви можемо

Comment

I'm pretty sure Ian is 1800 !
                    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Lord methane was there at the birth of our planet.
                      well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidB View Post
                        There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person’s lawful prey.

It is unwise to pay too much, but it is also unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought is incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot…..It can’t be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.

John Ruskin (1819-1900)

So what you sayin', that I should charge more??

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          So what you sayin', that I should charge more??
                          For your skills, experience & ability to produce good work - probably yes.

I am not suggesting people should be gullible or not shop around, but when someone you have asked offers to do something for a price, either accept it, ask them to do less work or walk away. It's being asked to match a cheaper price even though they think you will provide a better service that ####es me off.

The Ruskin quote just kind of soothes me... that's all
                          Last edited by DavidB; 8 January 2013, 23:45.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidB View Post
                            For your skills, experience & ability to produce good work - probably yes.

I am not suggesting people should be gullible or not shop around, but when someone you have asked offers to do something for a price, either accept it, ask them to do less work or walk away. It's being asked to match a cheaper price even though they think you will provide a better service that ####es me off.

The Ruskin quote just kind of soothes me... that's all

Just kidding.

A few people, mainly on the pickup website, have asked me how much for a conversion after seeing my previous work, and I never hear from them again when they find out how cheaply I can do them!!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                              Just kidding.

A few people, mainly on the pickup website, have asked me how much for a conversion after seeing my previous work, and I never hear from them again when they find out how cheaply I can do them!!
                              I've sent quotes out from £200 to £102,000...
                              There's no science to who accepts what, or even has the courtesy to get bsck to you. Some are just looking. Some will buy. Some want it cheaper than a bag of yesterdays chips.

One thing I did learn though was from this conversation with an old friend.

"So how's the business going John?"
                              "Great, thanks... I've not stopped working for months now"
                              "So, you're busy - that's great! But are you busy making money or just a busy fool?"

Made me think...
                              "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                              www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Working...
                              X