Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ Bushwhacker

Hi Vince,

Is there any news on the pump please? Just have to plan the weekend, especially if I'm driving up to you at 10mph...

Hi Vince, I have had several quotes now for pump recon, including viton seals and replacement of a few consumable parts.

Do you think I should be booking it in with someone, or is it worth holding out until you have looked at my old one?

tarp!

Comment

I've checked the correction resistors and they are still within spec.

Going to check out the other components on the pump later as I'm convinced the problem doesn't need hundreds of pounds thrown at it to get it working correctly.
      If the pump that you're using now is acting the same then it's got to be an age related component failure and no need for a complete rebuild. (Hopefully)

Stay tuned.

Comment

Thanks Vince

I have had a few quotes so I'll reply back to all the engineers and see if they can offer a suggestion for a particular part to look out for. I'll explain the resistors are OK.

cheers

Comment

two replies so far out of about 6. I will post the others, if I get them...

"Only other test you can do is run vehicle from can with clean diesel to & from can with clear fuel lines.

Sounds like pump, major surgery required,"

and

"NO THATS THE SCORE YOU NEED TO SEND PUMP FOR TESTING AND GO FROM THERE"

not much to go off there

Comment

"There is no common problem, generally wear & tear in many components. The machine for resetting them is £65,000"

so far, all very helpful replies

Comment

OK, I've pulled a few things off the pump and they're either blocked or restricted with gunk!

Gave them a soak in solvent thinners and a blow with compressed air and they are much cleaner. There's another gauze filter/strainer under the spill control valve that was totally blocked (couldn't see any light through it) gave it a soak and a blast of air and now it is clear.
              The nozzles on the back of the pump that the injector pipes screw onto were also blocked, but after a soak and a blast they too are now clean and clear.

The inlet banjo fittings on top of the pump are now soaking in solvent as they were gummed up also, will report back in about an hour to update.

I've taken loads of photos to make up a photo diary of al the parts I've cleaned. There's nothing that I've remove from the pump that would need any kind of calibration by the way, they are just peripheral parts.

p.s. All the components that were blocked/restricted would explain why the truck would start and run but wouldn't rev as not enough (IMO) fuel was being sent to the injectors. The only way to confirm my findings would be to fit the pump to the truck and road test really, but if it works then it would save a lot of money sending it off for "calibration!"

Comment

That's sounds pretty conclusive on the face of it. Let's hope that's what it is!

I will say that my fuel now is much better prepared than before, however, it doesn't explain why my current pump is knackered...

Could I get at the spill control filter and other components on my current pump to try and clean it without removing it?

Comment

Originally posted by Surfboy View Post
                  That's sounds pretty conclusive on the face of it. Let's hope that's what it is!

Could I get at the spill control filter and other components on my current pump to try and clean it without removing it?

Yes it should be possible.

Unplug the wiring to the correction resistors for easier access, unclip the plug from the frame surrounding the resistors, then using adjustable pipe grips unscrew the SCV.

It's the same as the 2.4 SCV..............
                  Attached Files

Comment

What on these pumps actually needs calibrating? As far as I could see if its put back in order theres no adjustments that can be done.
                    well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
                      What on these pumps actually needs calibrating? As far as I could see if its put back in order theres no adjustments that can be done.
                      I wish I knew! From the increasingly helpful replies from the engineers above, I suppose I may never know! I wonder if they deal in snake oil too?

Comment

The only part that would probably need calibrating is the mixture screw under that metal cap?

Anyhoo, here is some photos.....

The gauze filter/strainer under the Spill Control Valve...

With backlighting to show blockage...

After a soak in solvent and a blast with compressed air....

It sits in a recess under the SCV.....

Photos to show the small plastic filter found on the 3.0 fuel pump....

Photo to show whats behind the distribution nozzles.....(Those are the correction resistors on the left)

Another part that needed cleaning out was the banjo fitting assembly on top of the pump....

Note the tiny hole in the shaft of the banjo bolt, easily blocked by congealed veg oil.....

All parts came off easily using normal tools, nothing fancy.

p.s. Nothing pinged off either!

Comment

That looks like it stands a good chance of working now! Good work Vince, thanks.

Let me know when you're in a position to do the transplant. I may be able to get the truck up to you but I will need your mob number in case I have to ring you for recovery! It's particularly problematic on hills

Comment

Vince, does your computer plug in thingy check timing on these pumps?

Comment

Originally posted by Surfboy View Post
                              Vince, does your computer plug in thingy check timing on these pumps?

No, as the pump doesn't give any output signals.

Surf diesel pumps are really basic, they just pump the fuel and it's the SCV that controls the amount delivered to the injectors via signals from the ECU which gets it's info mainly from the TPS.

Comment

Working...
                              X