harmonic pulley part?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harmonic pulley part?

I got my harmonic pulley off this morning to see its cracked and one inner side is sitting 2mm higher than the other!

So I decided to check the crank, need a new woodruff key, its worn the crank a bit where the key has been rattling around, hopefully be okay.

But also, there was a ring on the end of the crank, has lots of holes on it, has cracked right through and was rattling around on the crank.

Does anyone know if this ring is part of the crank or does it come attatched to the new harmonic balancer?
    well, that was a bad idea!

Its a cambelt retainer, anyone know where I can get one?

Comment

Probably Toyota part only. 13566-54040. Use that number for a Google search. Key is 95161-30622. If the Harmonic balancer has come loose it might be a good idea to check the other key in the crank sprocket that drives the timing belt.

Nev

Comment

Thanks nev, I have to get it 10 miles to home, do you think it will be okay to drive without the washer for the 10 mile journey home?? Cant really leave it where it is for the next 5 days.

Comment

How badly broken is it?

I am thinking for a temporary repair could you not weld it?
          OR

AA recovery and say it is cam belt snapped and need towing back to your home?
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Got a lift in the end, got it back together and looked from undrrneath and the harmonic moves so much the bonded rings go in and out about 10mm. So no to that!

So gotta get a new harmonoc, and that guide washer, plus a belt cover.

Comment

If you have to replace the cover then get the two keys, remove the timing belt and replace the key in the crank sprocket. May as well do the crank seal while you have it apart and anything else that could need doing. How long since the belt and other stuff was done?

Nev

Comment

I have one of these...
                http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=605&vid=980

and a good condition/not very old one of these...
                http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=611&vid=139

£40 for the pair?

If you're interested and can wait 'till next Sunday afternoon, Kwakka666 will be here and heading back to Basingstoke so no postage costs.

Comment

I've probably got some guide washers kicking around you can have.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks guys, I already have a new guide washer and woodruff key, got them from yota, £7.45 for both posted inc vat.

Vince I would love to take that offer, would you beable to post them, needed urgently as surf is stuck at work and have to drive thr wifes fiesta.

If you can let me know the total cost and ill pay right away. All thats needed now is cambelt cover gasket.

Nev, belts and tensioners changed 15k ago.

Another issue, the woodruff key (outer only) has worn the crank a bit so the key can slightly lean to one side. Will this be okay with a decent harmonic pulley fitted?

Comment

Vince, if its okay to post can you price for super delivery. Ta

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
                        Another issue, the woodruff key (outer only) has worn the crank a bit so the key can slightly lean to one side. Will this be okay with a decent harmonic pulley fitted?
                        It's really just to locate the pully for the timing mark to line up, most of clamping of the pully is the crankshaft nut. It shouldn't be tight to get on, but you do need to avoid the pully being able to 'rock' on the shaft and loosen the nut over time.

The last time I did this I 'rebuilt' the hole with some chemical metal, some small shims have worked too, and would have tried this next if the chemical metal went crumbly over time or under crankshaft vibs, but it hasn't yet that I know about.

If you put a little of the metal stuff in the hole, then oil the key (so you can get it out again) and press it firmly into the hole, keeping the key hard agaist the good side of the slot, till the metal sets, clean the shaft well and then it seems to work ok long term on the two trucks I've done it to.

It's a bodge at best, and depends how 'baggy' your key actually is in the slot, but you don't want to be replacing the crankshaft unless you have to.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

i have some chemical metal so thats awesome news to me. will definitely be doing it.

plus oiling the key is a good idea.

Comment

vince...?

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
                              vince...?
                              Sorry, I was in the bath.

I can get them to you by Thursday (3rd) via TNT for £12.

So £52 total?

Comment

Working...
                              X