Hey, new here... few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, new here... few questions

Hey, new here and to surfs, so thought id ask a few questions if anyone wouldnt mind answering them

First off... ive only ever driven manual offroaders... what are the autos like? and which is best engine to go for between the 2.4's and 3.0's?

Thanks!

Craig,how do and welcome.I have a 3 litre 2nd gen auto,n reg.Personally I would go for a 3 litre as some on here say the 2.4's can overheat,although some swear by them(or is it at them)Never had a 4x4 before or even a diesel so I was a bit unsure at first.Its never put a foot wrong in the 5 + years I have owned it.I replaced the cam belt as soon as I got it,and both batteries,did the brakes twice in the 5 + years,on my second set of tyres from October as the mot was due.The bronze bush's in the front hubs were rattling a bit so did those about 18 months ago,done a couple of rubber cv boots and new top and bottom ball joints at the same time.Done the shockers all round and the rear springs.Want to do the steering joints and poly suspension bush's sometime this year,and its never failed an mot yet.Other than that its very easy motor to drive,20 mpg round town,27-29 on a run,I run it on a 40/60 mix of veggie oil/diesel every other fill up,it seems to be quieter on tickover and smells lovely all the time.Last March a mate/neighbour had a bit of a dig at me for doing to do so much work on my truck,I tried to explain preventative maintainance to him,the next month his four year old astra rotbox failed its mot test,and he tells me his road tax is more than mine?? Next May I will have owned it 6 years and I only paid £2500 for it,so not counting the running costs of brakes and what have you its cost me approximately £1.14 a day,less than a bag of chips.I dont include the cost of brakes ,tyres and the like because you have to have these to be on the road.
    I think you may be better off with a gearbox version if you are going to tow a lot or anything heavy,otherwise its personal preference.
    The main thing is ,have a really good look around,dont buy the first one that you see,check everything works,take a really good test drive and only then,if it ticks all the box's should you part with any dosh,good hunting,Alan

Comment

Gearboxes better for towing heavy stuff???? Really?
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Arse.
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Ive done a fair bit of reading since asking the question.

Read about differences between the engines etc. Its actually a 2.4 im looking at, its local and a decent price. Had the head changed, starter rebuilt and fuel pump rebuilt... so most of the main problems dealt with already.

Wont really be doing any towing - although i dont see how auto or manual would prevail with that. Itll be a daily driver (whole 9 mile round trip i do to work lol) and probably the odd venture up to drumclog aswell once im used to it. Its already had a few mods (lifted, AT's, snorkel etc) - infact it might even be on here too lol

Comment

Originally posted by barclay03 View Post
            it might even be on here too lol
            It is lol
            Welcome to the funhouse. This place is a great source of information, just don't ask what the red button is for. I'll now try to remain inpartial

Comment

Originally posted by Black Sheep View Post
              It is lol
              Welcome to the funhouse. This place is a great source of information, just don't ask what the red button is for. I'll now try to remain inpartial
              Lol i thought it may be! Im always a believer in dedicated forums being good for information

Comment

Hello, Craig. Welcome.
                " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                  X