Cambelt options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cambelt options

Will be changing mine soon, its near 200k so going to do it a bit earlier.

Question is, can you get upgraded belts? Ones that are stronger and less prone to losing teeth or snapping.

I have a goodyear belt at the moment, know you can get continental belts. But I would be more inclined to get a gates one unless anyone knows of better ones.
    well, that was a bad idea!

I'm dyslexic, I use Mitsuboshi belts.
    Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

I've had a google up, seems they are OEM for a lot of Jap manufacturers.

I thought they were taking the poss.

Comment

Is that the gates ones?

Comment

I think so.

Comment

You'll find Gates belts in other peoples packaging quite often also. For the record though, I'd choose Gates or OEM only for cam belts.

Comment

Yeah always trusted gates, dont go for manufacturers, probably a gates one with toyota written on it for extra cost.

I have heard that you can get reinforced ones, with kevlar or something.

Comment

Yep - quite likely you'll open the box to reveal a Gates belt, however in some cases it's an easier warranty issue if you can provide a dealer invoice for an OEM part, even if it says Gates on it.

Not much of a worry here though....

All cam belts are massively strong and hugely reinforced. Imagine for a moment the work they actually do. The main cause of premature failure is oil contamination. A nice clean, dry and well adjusted belt will happily last easily as long as it should - the recommended replacement intervals are usually very conservative for obvious reasons.

More often than not, a camshaft seal goes which is blissfully ignored until the belt breaks...

Comment

Yeah I understand theyre dam strong, and the hilux ones are twice as thick as normal car ones.

I suppose I was hoping there were 'super' ones out there just because I would then need it. If you know what I mean.

Comment

I know exactly what you mean!

Comment

Gates belts is all I use. They are the Toyota OEM manufacturer. The belts they make now compared to when they were made for the Surf when it was originally manufactured are, I consider, "Super Belts". Many vehicles now have well above the 100K timing belt change and some are now 200K. I believe the Gates you now put in the Surf will last this long, but still change at the 100K period. The last belt on mine still looked like new when removed.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                      X