Is running an old Surf eco friendly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is running an old Surf eco friendly

With so much brain power on this site I thought I'd float this theory for yer perusal...
    Is keeping a 20yr old Surf on the road as eco friendly as buying a new low emission high mpg model?
    I've read that about 30 percent of emissions for the lifecycle of a vehicle occur during production when all factors considered, and also in scrapping there's environmental waste factors.
    The domino effect - if you keep your old motor on the road somebody somewhere along the line is having trouble selling their old motor to buy a new one, meaning one less new vehicle produced.
    The whole emissions ratings thing is maybe more to do with government spin to create revenue than real environmental concerns.
    A new vehicle with low emissions yet all the industry pollution that goes with it and the fact that build quality is often poorer requiring replacement parts more often - versus keeping an old Surf on the road - I'd say we're on the winning team.
    Afterall, we also recycle many used parts by keeping an old Surf going and that's less new parts produced, less old parts going to landfill.
    I'm winning this after dinner argument I think....

Who cares the the crack in your arse aint for sitting on the fence, make a choice and drive what you like, life is not a dress rehearsal.
    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
      Who cares the the crack in your arse aint for sitting on the fence, make a choice and drive what you like, life is not a dress rehearsal.
      Brains to burn! no intellectual emisssions from you anyway

Comment

I like bellowing black smoke out of my side exit, even better when eco car people give me a disgusted look.
        well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

The Surf certainly recycles diesel into emissions very quickly!

Comment

I kickdown for prius
            "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by BarraSSRX View Post
              If you want to use the scholar smiley and have a dig about intellect, learn to spell emissions.
              Brian

Comment

:

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                  If you want to use the scholar smiley and have a dig about intellect, learn to spell emissions.
                  Ssso true, well ssspotted Yossshie
                  "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

I think people see a 20 year old motor and jump to the wrong conclusion. Cars this age (like classics) are well maintained and better looked after by their owners than half the newer cars on the road today.
                    And Brian Psssmsl

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                      I kickdown for prius

Prius drivers, do they really think they are doing the planet a favor?
                      What happens in 6 or 7 years time when the Ever Readys go wrong?

Comment

With so much brain power on this site I thought I'd float this theory for yer perusal...
                        Is keeping a 20yr old Surf on the road as eco friendly as buying a new low emission high mpg model?
                        I've read that about 30 percent of emissions for the lifecycle of a vehicle occur during production when all factors considered, and also in scrapping there's environmental waste factors.
                        The domino effect - if you keep your old motor on the road somebody somewhere along the line is having trouble selling their old motor to buy a new one, meaning one less new vehicle produced.
                        The whole emissions ratings thing is maybe more to do with government spin to create revenue than real environmental concerns.
                        A new vehicle with low emissions yet all the industry pollution that goes with it and the fact that build quality is often poorer requiring replacement parts more often - versus keeping an old Surf on the road - I'd say we're on the winning team.

Afterall, we also recycle many used parts by keeping an old Surf going and that's less new parts produced, less old parts going to landfill.

Your argument is flawed.

To be a valid argument you will need to factor in many variables,including at least the following and this is only considering your truck and no other variables.
                        Is your Surf diesel/petrol or running on LPG?
                        Mileage driven and vehicle occupancy.
                        Do you drive with a lead foot?

Perhaps it would be an idea to work out your carbon footprint and then get back to us.

You may well consider that your 20 year old truck is eco friendly but if your other drive is a Veryon then the argument is void.
                        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                          Your argument is flawed.

To be a valid argument you will need to factor in many variables,including at least the following and this is only considering your truck and no other variables.
                          Is your Surf diesel/petrol or running on LPG?
                          Mileage driven and vehicle occupancy.
                          Do you drive with a lead foot?

Perhaps it would be an idea to work out your carbon footprint and then get back to us.

You may well consider that your 20 year old truck is eco friendly but if your other drive is a Veryon then the argument is void.
                          I don't think any of that matters really, the thing is whether it is better for the environment to continue running an older vehicle or replace it with a new one.

As said the environmental impact reduces as a vehicle ages, newer vehicles have less emission impact but they do have an effect and the production, distribution and disposal are all to be accounted for.

It's all mute anyway, the difference in the environmental impact of running one car over another pales into insignificance in the shadow of industrial and commercial production, and that of this country of a whole is laughably minute when taken in context of the whole world, India, China, Russia, America etc make our output seem like a fart in a thunderstorm.

Yes, as a country we need to be seen as taking the lead, so other less environmentally friendly countries change their ways, but it's going to be a long process, unachievable in our and even our grandchildren's lifetimes. Simply changing your car "for the good of the world" is ridiculous and short sighted.

And on last thing, whether you run a steam engine or ride a cow to work, ceasing to do so isn't going to change the fact the world is naturally warming up quite happily on it's own.

Comment

.......... in scrapping there's environmental waste factors.

There's money to be made from someone else's shit.

If there's nothing being produced, there'll be no jobs. No jobs means no economy, no economy means no dole money for the people that lost their jobs due to no demand for parts...... etc, etc.

Comment

Your heads are cracked lads, my other drive is a V8 4.2 but with petrol prices and 15mpg I'm seriously considering removing the engine and making room for horse feed, although Dodge you've got me thinking cows maybe better than horses, must google bcp and work it out

Comment

Working...
                              X