Mud Tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mud Tyres

Hi, This is my first post (of many i hope). I love my new truck and have been having a lot of fun off and on the road with it.

I'm considering buying some mud tyres for it and was wondering if anyone could recommend some that offer good grip both on and off road and also have low road noise?

I have heard that BF goodrich are good ones but quote expensive.

I'm also running my truck on WVO and have lot's of questions on that but will save that for later

Cheers
    Mattt

Hello, Matt. Welcome. I run Maxxis Bighorns. They aren't too bad on noise, just a gentle "drone". If you're that bothered, though, just close the windows and turn the music up..
    " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

I used to run my Disco 2 on Insa Turbo Dakars - they are a copy of the BFG Mud Terrains.

when at the right pressure they didn't make too much noise on the disco, and my surf is twice as quiet as standard, so shouldnt make too much noise.

That said my Disco 300tdi was almost as good on every other surface using road tyres, with that in mind im staying with AT tyres (tho they will be more aggressive pattern AT's) as I will be going for a mix of driving with mine, mainly road and rocky/dusty trails hopefully

Comment

Khumo KL71 are good. I however have BF Goodrich AT's on the Surf and I really like them as an excellent all rounder.

Comment

Originally posted by DLowe View Post
          rocky/dusty trails hopefully
          Errr... you live in the UK. When was the last time you drove a dusty trail?
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Mud Tyres

I run Hankook Dynapro MT and they are REAL in the mud!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
              Errr... you live in the UK. When was the last time you drove a dusty trail?
              local pay n play is a dusty quarry full of rocks

Comment

Today it is mainly a pond - a deep one.
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkshire Devil View Post
                  I run Hankook Dynapro MT and they are REAL in the mud!
                  So do I, but I don't know what being REAL in the mud means, so can't agree or disagree.
                  What I will say is that they are quieter than Khumos, wear well, and I haven't got into serious trouble with them yet...
                  They also have stone ejectors built into the lugs, so as the tyre flexes, the harder lump stays rigid and ejects the stone.
                  Oh and they are better than Mastercraft Courser MT's which wore quickly and whined on the road.
                  "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

I have the BFGoodrich mud terrains, they're very good, work well off road, in the mud, on grass, gravel and are very quiet on the road. I would highly recommend them.
                    well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

IMHO If you go down the BFG route, go straight for M/T's as there's little to no change in road noise over the A/T's but they're considerably better when offroading.

Comment

I'll probably get shot down for this but ...

If you're only intending to run one set of tyres with anything more than minimal tarmac usage DON'T buy MTs - they'll offer significantly less grip on tarmac and will wear out far faster than decent AT's.

Dr Anglegrinder has proved many times that decent AT's will provide all the performance you need in 95% of the conditions you'll meet offroad - if you want more than that then buy some steel rims, fit MTs to them and swap them over whenever necessary. Then they'll rot out long before they wear out

PS
                        For the avoidance of doubt, performance offroad is enhanced by knowing wtf you're doing - a set of MTs WON'T turn you into an offroad God !

Last edited by Predictable Bob; 23 November 2012, 02:10.
                        Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

I'll go with the Kuhmo KL 71's, had them on the back of my Truck for 3 years now brill off road and not wearing to bad either.

Comment

Thanks everyone, that's just the sort of info i was looking for. I've now got a few names to research.
                            I'm a bushcraft instructor so have to drive in wet, muddy woodland a lot and some of the uphill sections have been a bit hairy, especially today. There is a 10ft crater of some sort off to the left of the uphill slope which is also at a camber, the truck sort of side slips toward the crater sometimes, made my monocle fall out today...

Comment

Bushcraft Instructor, thats interesting, do you shoot also, is that your main job ? Sort of thing I would love to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X