ATF Oil Coolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATF Oil Coolers

Should the oil cooler be mounted so that the oil feeds to the bottom or the top ?

My thinking is the oil should feed to the top so as the oil cooler is always full as opposed to feeding to the bottom so the oil will always flow out.

Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

I don't think it really matters, there should be plenty of pressure which ever way it goes.

It's got to pump fluid up the pipe to the top, or up the cooler to the top, can't see there being much difference.

(I usually mount the coolers horizonatally, with the fittings at the bottom... )
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I mounted mine with both inlet and outlet at the top, I'm not saying its right or wrong that's just how I did it and my auto transmission still works fine and cooling is fine and Id think that doing it this way would also keep the cooler full.
      Сви можемо

Comment

outlet at the top.
        thats to allow any air to be pushed out.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak'e View Post
          outlet at the top.
          thats to allow any air to be pushed out.
          Where will the air go?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            Where will the air go?
            back into the auto box's sump and out of the oil.
            if air gets trapped in the cooler you won't get much cooling.

Comment

When i fitted mine i did it with the fittings at the bottom. I was a little concerned about it being airlocked so i laid it horizontal and let the truck tick-over for a while, eventually the cooler felt warm with no cold areas and then mounted it in the final place. The only way i could see it getting air in now is if the cooler or pipes split. Done 18m months ago and still working well.
              Non consternationes.

Comment

B&M coolers state that fittings should not be on the bottom. Side or at top is ok. When at the side the inlet from transmission at the bottom and outlet to transmission at the top. Now they build the things, so I would do what they say. Can't see why other brands should not be installed the same.

Nev

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys,most helpful.

And as is common with these type of enquiries a whole load of new questions....

Would any of you have an idea of either the pressure of the ATF at idle or indeed what flow rates I should expect?

The bash plate and the underslung air con rad have been removed so I have plenty of room for mounting the cooler in that general area,however what would be the maximum height above the standard in rad cooler would you go?

And possibly the final question would any of you see an issue with mounting the cooler not in the engine bay,or in the front grille area,but perhaps alongside the autobox itself?

Thanks again .
                  Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post

And possibly the final question would any of you see an issue with mounting the cooler not in the engine bay,or in the front grille area,but perhaps alongside the autobox itself?

Thanks again .
                    The Autobox gets friggin hot, it'll melt bars of choc in the center consol, not much point in putting the cooler near that, there's not much airflow, plus you might block it with mud or damage it offroad.

There's no need to get over complicated, mounting it behind the bumper gets in clean airflow, protects it and keeps it at a similar height to the stock position.

Line pressures vary very roughly between 50 and 300psi dending on throttle position and load on the tranny.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                      Line pressures vary very roughly between 50 and 300psi dending on throttle position and load on the tranny.
                      That surprises me. Id have expected much lower pressures than that. My Hayden cooler is only tested to 300psi so theres no safety factor there and its all strung together with barbed connections and jubilee clips, Id have expected much lower pressures than that in the flow and return to/from the cooler.
                      Сви можемо

Comment

300 psi ?

I was surprised at 50 psi !!

I was expecting more of 10-15 psi at idle and 35-40 at full throttle.
                        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

300psi Tony?

No more than 80psi surely or the hoses would be nut and flared hard lines all the way to the cooler instead of just Jubilee clips.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                            300 psi ?

I was surprised at 50 psi !!

I was expecting more of 10-15 psi at idle and 35-40 at full throttle.
                            Some serious googling needed now, my expectations would have been broadly in line with those, I thought maybe equal to the cooling system which it sits in on a stock install.
                            Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                              300psi Tony?

No more than 80psi surely or the hoses would be nut and flared hard lines all the way to the cooler instead of just Jubilee clips.
                              Doubters...

I only have info for A340E/F boxes to hand, but all much the same as a guide.

Comment

Working...
                              X