Rear window trouble, 2nd gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear window trouble, 2nd gen

Whilst opening my rear window recently from inside, it got jammed against something in the boot resulting in only one side going up and down properly and having to do the other side by hand.

Turns out I managed to pull the runner off the bottom of the window on one side.

Any ideas how I can re-attach it to the window.

Rear Window woes

Peter,how do.Dont quote me on all of this but it did happen to me.
    try and lower the window enough so as to get the door open,if not you will have to get in the rear of the truck and remove the carpet covered trim,then the tin trim cover(5 screws)then the plastic sheet,try not to rip this.
    The motor is to the passenger side of the door,it is secured by three screws(may be small nuts or even screws with a torx type hole in the head).If you can get these out the motor is released from the window lift mechanism,you can then tie the motor out of the way or remove it completely.When you release the motor the window can be moved up and down fairly easily within the door,pull it all the way down(if not done before) to get the door open,then pull the glass about 2/3 the way out(dont drop it)release the four bolts that hold the mechanism to the door and by sliding it left and right you can release the mechanism from the metal slidy thing that is attached to the bottom of the glass.remove the two electrical connections for the heated rear window,also the two rubber caps(held with two screws )at either end of the window aperture, and with a bit of jiggling the glass can be removed through the "top"of the door.Judicious use of a rubber mallet should see the metal strip eased back on to the window glass.reverse the above to refit,check it works before you seal it all back and you should be ok.At some point you will/may have to trip the rear lock mechanism ,this is to allow the glass to move when the door is not in the closed position.
    There may be an adult on here who knows a better or easier way,but if you take your time you should be able to do it in a couple of hours(it took me four)Good luck,Alan

Comment

Thanks Alan, I did wonder if the runner was just a push fit onto the glass, I have had the cover off and retrieved it, it is a bit rusty so whether it will hold on the glass again who knows. I will strip it out and try with a rubber mallet as you suggested, not for the first time as I am on my third motor.

Comment

I had the same problem with mine. The runners had actually rusted away and the wheel was coming out of the runner at certain points. I fabricated a new runner out of steel plate.To the best of my recollection,the strip attached to the window was rubber lined and just slid over the bottom of the glass.

I got fed up of the whole rear window set up , stripped it all out and made a perspex manual window. It was functional .

Comment

Rear window woes

Ade,how do.Considering the rest of the vehicle is what I would term well made and strong,they really did not do too good a job on the rear window,having said that they are around 15 years old so I suppose we should expect one or two problems..

Comment

Working...
          X