yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diff locker install today, wish me luck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diff locker install today, wish me luck!

My rear diff has been whining it arse off for the last few months, and then whining AND leaking, and now no more leaking (no oil left)

So I finally put some time aside this weekend to rebuild the diff and while I have it out I figured ild drop an air locker in it at the same time, why not if its already in peices I say.

Does anybody want me to take some pics and post them up here? Dont seem to be too many diff rebuild threads and pics here let alone locker installs so some pics might be of use to someone, this is all going to me new to me as I havent had to pull apart a diff before

Wish me luck lads otherwise im walking to work on monday morning
    Its a new truck, Because every parts been replaced

good luck with the locker.
    pics are always good.
    i put a possi locker in my rear diff a couple of months ago and it was easy enough, just had to be careful about marking everything clearly so it all went back together the same way.
    i dont know anything about air lockers though.

Comment

Would be great for those that have never had a diff apart before. Myself included.

Comment

http://www.gearinstalls.com/index1.htm

some of the best info and pics i've seen. plenty to go through, i recommend looking at most of them.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak'e View Post
          http://www.gearinstalls.com/index1.htm

some of the best info and pics i've seen. plenty to go through, i recommend looking at most of them.
          hehe yep thats what I have been following, been quite handy.

And if anyone wants my opinion, if you can afford the genuine ARB locker instead of these chinese copys, DO IT!

The quality of this locker is rubbish and I have no doubt that it will be coming out again very soon for repairs.
          the casting quality is extremely poor, I had to purchase new o-rings for it as the supplied ones didnt seal in air, the crown wheel is "wobbly' due to the casting so I will only know how badly this is going to affect it once its installed and running (tomorrow I hope)

I took a gamble and bought a cheap chinese locker, and it hasn't paid off.
          But it has been a fun learning experience anyway and the diff bearing were shot so it was already coming out for repairs anyway so no big loss to me.

Will update you all tomorrow when its installed and tested
          And a sneak peek photo
          Attached Files

Comment

Well I cant be bothered writing up about it, and that previous comments link is way better than what I could ever write up, so heres some pics, and I can happily say that any future diff work is going to be sent away instead, that was not much fun

My pinion bearings were that well stuck it took me 2 hours just to get the big one off, involved a gear puller, then a press and then a lot of heating to get the sucker to pop off.

Anyway done now, just have to test the locker tomorrow with works air supply as my compressors not running yet, (I opted for an engine mount compressor and havent made bracket yet)
            Lets just hope it works as I dont want to have to remove everything again

And note my awesome garage heater
            Yes it is just a bowl with a random peice of wire very crudly bent to hold it off the ground, but man it throws out some heat, (burns meths so not toxic, but still only really suited to a well vented garage)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Kiwisurfing; 4 November 2012, 04:49.

Comment

Has anyone else noticed that the flame looks suspiciously like a "£" symbol. I think satan is trying to tell you something.

Comment

well I hooked it up to the workshops air supply today, it actually locked

Will have to get the compressor rigged up and take it for a spin now and see how much more trouble I can get my self into now, really need to get a winch hooked up now as with a locker I suspect that when im stuck now it will be beyond a tow strap pull kinda stuck

Comment

Just a small addition to my original thread,

Finally got off my lazy behind an installed the air compressor and lines this weekend and took it for a spin.

My word its like the difference in being in 2wd then hitting the 4wd button but in addition to already being in 4wd!
                  Its crazy what the old surf can do now, all it needed was a locked up rear end and its darn near unstoppable, mabey a front locker is on my mind now

And ill have to say that if you can afford the selectable locker go for it, handy to know that if you get stuck in 4x4 you always have the locker to select to pull you out, if your stuck with the locker on though (or non selectable type) your only hope is probbly a digger as you must be in something stupid and sticky

Thats my 2 cents from the other side of the world, ta ta peoples
                  Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like a big improvement. I realised how much of a difference they make when I got my Shogun. Only really use them if I get stuck to get me out of trouble but they are excellent. Especially in mud. It looks quite complicated but its something to think about when I eventually revive the surf.

Comment

Out of interest why did you opt for an air-operated locker? I chose to use Powertrax Lock-Right from Richmond. Cost me (including tax and shipping) £260 and was relatively simple to install, precautions taken.
                      http://www.richmondgear.com/powertrax/lockright.html
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I think mostly beacuse im a control freak, I like being able to control everything my truck does and when I want it to, manual gearbox, manual pump, manual a/c, manual everything lol

Other side is that I can play around and if I get stuck I know I still have the locker available to pull my through, where as if its always on and I get it stuck with locker in I pretty well dug in and not moving in a hurry.

And because my truck has to serve as my daily runner to work as well it saves a little tyre wear and handling issues in the wet.

Each to his own really, if I didnt manage to get my air locker so cheap ild have ended up with a auto locker probably anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwisurfing View Post
                          I think mostly beacuse im a control freak, I like being able to control everything my truck does and when I want it to, manual gearbox, manual pump, manual a/c, manual everything lol

Other side is that I can play around and if I get stuck I know I still have the locker available to pull my through, where as if its always on and I get it stuck with locker in I pretty well dug in and not moving in a hurry.

And because my truck has to serve as my daily runner to work as well it saves a little tyre wear and handling issues in the wet.

Each to his own really, if I didnt manage to get my air locker so cheap ild have ended up with a auto locker probably anyway
                          Had my auto locker about 18 months now. Haven't noticed any tyre wear but then again haven't measured.. Only done around 8000 miles though.

It's fun in the wet but if you want to drive it sensibly you can
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                          X