Tell me about 4WD - newbie seeks advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about 4WD - newbie seeks advice

My Surf has "Normal" 4WD, not "Multi-Mode" 4WD (no limited slip diff function). I'm under the impression that the "normal" 4WD in my car should only be engaged in very slippery conditions to avoid knackering anything. The (very basic) book that came with the car says that it can be driven on "wet and greasy" roads. So would I be ok to engage it if the road is wet? I was just going to reserve the 4WD option for when it's REALLY needed (ie. stuck or likely to get stuck). Thanks for your advice.

This article explains it quite well.

Same here

Last edited by slobodan; 28 October 2012, 16:52.
    Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Thanks Slobodan. So it really should be kept for very slippery surfaces, then; a wet tarmac road won't be slippery enough to avoid wind-up. That 2nd article is good. Hadn't realised the problem with understeer, too.
      Last edited by TeaMonsta; 28 October 2012, 17:00.

Comment

Also with a decent set of tyres, you'll be pleasantly surprised quite how far you can get.
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
          Also with a decent set of tyres, you'll be pleasantly surprised quite how far you can get.
          and then you start thinking you are invinceable, and mud tyres will rescue you from any type of mud, no matter how deep or sticky. and then you hit 4WD button and find your CV joint is bust, so have to turn the 4x4 off again. Luckily though, that winch you had fitted for show, actually works and after getting covered in mud, grease and tree grime, you are out of that mud trap you thought you'd sail through. And on your way. Smiling, but a little more educated...

Ahem!

Sorry, as you were...
          "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Working...
          X