Help please. Bleeding Brakes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please. Bleeding Brakes.

Help needed, I have just changed offside front brake caliper with a refurbished one. I bled with syringe, non return valve on pipe and conventional with Wife up down etc. The brake pedal still goes down to the floor. All was OK until this point, the only reason I changed the caliper was for a sticking piston. Any help or advice gratefully recieved. Thanks.

Originally posted by Webbo View Post
    Help needed, I have just changed offside front brake caliper with a refurbished one. I bled with syringe, non return valve on pipe and conventional with Wife up down etc. The brake pedal still goes down to the floor. All was OK until this point, the only reason I changed the caliper was for a sticking piston. Any help or advice gratefully recieved. Thanks.
    Syringe?

I use an old length of vacuum hose to bleed brakes, cut a slit about two inches from one end, plug the open end with a tight fitting bolt and submerge the end of the hose in brake fluid so there's no possibilty that any air will be drawn back into the braking system. The vac hose is a nice snug fit over the bleed nipple.

I assume fluid was coming out the tube when the pedal was being pumped?
    Did you clamp the flexy brake hose before you removed the old caliper?

Top up the reservoir and bleed the new caliper again but shut the bleed nipple on the down stroke of the pedal. If still spongey, you'll probably need to bleed the other side too.
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 26 October 2012, 15:17.

Comment

Four pots can be awkward to get all the air out, just a normal length of pipe that fits tightly on the nipple is all you need, get a willing volunteer to pump the pedal 5 or 6 times with the bleed nipple closed then hold it down, open the nipple with the pedal held down then close it off when the fluid/air has escaped, release the pedal and repeat, usually takes 3 or 4 go's but always works a treat for me.

If you didn't clamp the pipe off when you changed the caliper I'd bleed all the brakes to be on the safe side, remember there is also a bleed nipple on the LCV.

Hope that helps
      Last edited by JD_975; 26 October 2012, 20:17.

Comment

Ok thanks I will give it another go.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Syringe?

I use an old length of vacuum hose to bleed brakes, cut a slit about two inches from one end, plug the open end with a tight fitting bolt and submerge the end of the hose in brake fluid so there's no possibilty that any air will be drawn back into the braking system. The vac hose is a nice snug fit over the bleed nipple.

I assume fluid was coming out the tube when the pedal was being pumped?
          Did you clamp the flexy brake hose before you removed the old caliper?

Top up the reservoir and bleed the new caliper again but shut the bleed nipple on the down stroke of the pedal. If still spongey, you'll probably need to bleed the other side too.
          Yes Vince fluid was coming out and no air, I did clamp the flexy hose, I will bleed the other side just in case. Ta.

Comment

Whoops, wrong Caliper, bleed nipple on the bottom. Nearside Caliper. Tried to turn caliper upwards to bleed, only to break the steel pipe. So new pipe made up and old Caliper fitted.

So if anybody wants to swop a good nearside caliper for offside, or have a good offside for sale can you let me know thanks.

Comment

Doh.... :d

Comment

Gunsons eezibleed kit.

You can pick them up in Halfords or order online if you dont mind waiting for postage.

Comment

Crack em open and let gravity go to work. It's sometimes the trick that works with stubborn air pockets.
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by BEAST View Post
                    Gunsons eezibleed kit.

You can pick them up in Halfords or order online if you dont mind waiting for postage.
                    I may be wrong but dont they only work on screw top fluid tanks ? Anyway I used about an inch of airline pipe from the bleed nipple, into a quality non return valve and then into a pot to catch the fluid, and that worked a treat.

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                      Crack em open and let gravity go to work. It's sometimes the trick that works with stubborn air pockets.
                      My Mate in our local Garage swears but that way, he just gets on with other work during the time.

Comment

Working...
                      X