X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good evening everyone :)

hi everyone my names kevin but get called gilly

im going tomorrow to buy a m reg surf ssr X 3.0 in grey

my dad used to have one about 8 years ago and i loved it drove it a few times in the south of ireland altho it was a 2.4 but loved driving it

im 25 and live about 10 miles from drumclog in scotland bought insurance today for it came in at £719 for the year which i guess isnt bad really

heres a few pics of the one im picking up tomorrow

any one give me some pointers on what to look out for

thanks gilly

Kevin,hi and welcome .
    Give it a good drive,make sure it changes up/down ok(if Auto),check every switch you can find to make sure they all work,door windows can be slow ,rear windows can fail but not too hard to fix,not too much smoke from rear end,check fluids,make sure it starts easily from cold,check for too much tyre wear,leaking shockers,use the search function on here to find out more,lots of spares ,info and help available.
    If you say the old man had one before take him with you,and if you are not happy with anything,negotiate a discount or just walk away,theres always a better one round the corner
    P.S. front bumper looks a bit rusty but I have seen worse and I think the rear bumper shoud be chrome not painted
    Last edited by HONEST AL; 24 October 2012, 17:58.

Comment

How much are you paying if you don't mind me asking, there seems to be a fair amount of rot on it, especially under the front, looks like its been sat in water. Have a good look underneath.

Just seen the fog light too, which has bent out of place, normally caused by off roading. So also make sure the spare wheel mechanism is nice and free.
      Last edited by muddle; 24 October 2012, 19:00.
      well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

thanks for the reply's guys

well went to see the surf yesterday

mot'd till april

taxed till end of feb

2 rear tyres are recently new

2 front are nearly ready for a change

manual 5 speed box

had a good look round it it started first turn of the key with no smoke that i could see

all windows work apart from passenger front not working and rear is slow

all switches seem to work apart from the hard soft shocks button (doesnt show up on the dash)

looks to have had work done to the drive train as the prop had markings oas if it is alignment marks

looks to be a new starter fitted recently

drives in all the gears in high and low and also the 4wd button works

although to take it out of 4wd again needs to be reversed a little bit then forward

rear bumper has had a few repairs underneath but seems a common issue

front bumper is solid

rear fog light looks to have been glued on to its mount and came off lol

but all was good plenty of power from the turbo

gave the chassis a good going over and its solid and again has had a new exhast system from the middle back

it seems to have been on the island - BENBECULA - since 2004 and dont a fair few miles from then everything has surface rust on it but thats all gave a good poke around and a good stab with a philips screwdriver and no holes made

millage from original receipt of purchase in 2004 was 101km - mot in april 2012 shows 262km

went and bought it and tbh cant complain at £600

my dad bought his about 8 years ago 2.4 1990 model for 900 so im really happy

thanks for the suggestions and arms welcomes

oh the spare wheel is new but i think ill have problems getting it off lol

came down to berwick upon tweed to the caravan for a few days from glsgow and it drove brilliant with out any issues

welll i say issues lol its got a slight leak from a fuel pipe at the front but only seems to be after a good run lol

thanks kevin
        Last edited by gilly-06; 25 October 2012, 15:29.

Comment

well thought i'd update with some better pics

its got a pracitcally brand new spare but the linkage is siezed

also fitted my cb today aswell

Comment

Hi Gilly,
            You got it then, well done Enjoy!

Comment

thanks bblue yeah i got it

ive dont 520km on £60 after working it all out its averaging around 30-35mpg

sits on the motor way at 70 with no problems just over 2.5k revs

so cant complain at that

Comment

Originally posted by gilly-06 View Post
                its averaging around 30-35mpg
                I'm sure that is incorrect, but well done if it is correct.

The main thing is that you like it.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
                  I'm sure that is incorrect, but well done if it is correct.

The main thing is that you like it.

I hope to God that is incorrect. Otherwise Lex2's getting swapped in for a £600 Oiler.

@ Op, do you do undercover pap style photography as your day job? Those pics look like you're spying on someone!
                  "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

i do hope its correct lol (i wish its correct )

but to be sure im going to fill a gallon drum and feed it from that to see what i actually get from 1 gallon

then again the fuel guage was showing empty when i bought the jeep so its unsure if its correct

lol @ wolfracer - im not unfortiunaitly although might be career i may take up lol

ive always been into photography but can never seem to get the right shot

mind u a better camera wouldnt go a miss than crappy phone pics lol

hopefully in the next few days ill tackle this bridge (old railway bridge now concreted up at each end )

hopefully get up on the maintenance walkway and take a walk over to the other side and get some nice views and pics

Last edited by gilly-06; 29 October 2012, 23:19.

Comment

Just Brim it (fill to the top) drive a couple of hundred Kms, then measure how much it takes to brim it again.

Most people are happy with 25MPG.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

I find close ups seem to work better! - Mine - was and is. Back to front.

Welcome by the way. Get lots of pics before you start the mods...
                        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

K98 BOM - I know that reg... Is that either Ross' old truck, or maybe Mudsurfers?
                          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                            K98 BOM - I know that reg... Is that either Ross' old truck, or maybe Mudsurfers?
                            Yup, Ross's Lexurf II. Although, it doesn't look like that anymore...

...its clean!

Ish
                            Last edited by Wolfracer; 29 October 2012, 23:48.
                            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

awsome truck that

and yeah mpg doesnt really bother me if it need fuel it needs it lol

and yeah ill keep yous updated with plenty of progress pics

got brilliant spre wheel that the linkage seems to be siezed so tomorrows job lol

Comment

Working...
                              X