new to the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to the forum

hi everyone, im new here and this is my 1st post.

I picked up my hilux surf yesterday, its a 1995 3.0L knz185 3rd Gen from a mate of mine, got her for a decent price to so im hapy.

Took it to my mates work as he is a HGV Mechanic and he had a good look around the motor. He found these faults...

1. Break lights not working
    2. Fog light no working
    3. One of the spot lights not working
    4. Radiator slightly leaking at the top.
    5. Front top ball joints slight excess play
    6. Rear offside anti roll bar drop link excess play.
    7. Exhaust slightly pluffing in a couple parts.
    8. Rear Diff seal knackered as its slighly leaking oil ( knew about this before buying )
    9. Tailgate window motor not working. ( i knew about this before buying )

We got all the lights sorted last night, a couple bulbs had gone so nothing major.

Today was a nightmare with the window motor. We looked everywhere for a motor but had no joy. Phoned Toyota and they wanted £165 + vat for one, so no way i was paying that much for it. As we took the motor out last night we knew what we were looking for so when we went to the scrap yard as our last resort we saw an old toyota people carrier ( no idea what model it was ) and i remembered seeing on a forum that an MR2 window motor was the same as the surf motor, so we managed to get the window motor out and to our joy it was the same one as we needed......wrong. It was a right hand motor we took but it needed to be a left hand motor so stripped out the one from the scrap yard and put that bits into the surf motor. Then when we came to fit the motor we discovered that now the interior button only wanted to work going up, not down, and same for the outdoor key, only wanted to work going up but not down. We ended up checking all the cables looking for cracks or breaks from dismantling the motor etc but found nothing. Back into the house for a look online. Found out from this forum that someone mentioned the rear wiper not being at its parked position would stop the motor going down, went back to the surf and turned on the rear wiper then off, re connected the motor and hey presto its working both up and down. Now the window works like a charm and for a small cost of £10 for the motor from the scrap yard.

Ive bought the Xenon Ring bulbs and going to fit them 2moro at some point. Was wondering which way to do this as yesterday seen the 2 massive batteries behind the head lights. I was worried that the alarm and immob would be messed up by disconnecting the batteries but also read here that by doing them 1 at a time i should be ok.

Does anyone know where i can get a rear diff seal from ??

If anyone has got anything that i should know about any of the faults that need fixing id appreciate some intel about it as im not very mechanical minded.

thanks

craig

Hello Craig. Welcome to the forum. It looks like your first post got missed. Don't think we're ignorant on here. Sometimes first posts just come in "under the radar". Keep posting.....
    " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

welcome along matey

Comment

Hi & welcome, Good to see you got the back window working, it comes in handy for getting bodies out of sight quick.
        Get a rubber or plastic liner in there and the blood washes out much quicker too.
        Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
          it comes in handy for getting bodies out of sight quick.
          Get a rubber or plastic liner in there and the blood washes out much quicker too.
          You guys are a little scary sometimes.

Hi I'm new here too nice to see another one from Scotland.

Comment

Scary sometimes....Slobodan is currently posting from the national Serbian lunatic emporium!!
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
              Scary sometimes....Slobodan is currently posting from the national Serbian lunatic emporium!!
              And typing wid my nose till they get dis special coat off me.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Hi and welcometo the mad house.....as you may have noticed

Comment

Hi n Welcome there's plenty of info Just use the search button, enjoy ya stay ....

11+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                  X