Windows 7 Serial Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Serial Numbers

My mate has trashed his (Acer) laptop's hard drive including the recovery partition. The drive is completely dead.

I have a new hard drive and a Dell Windows 7 disc, he has the original Windows 7 serial number from his laptop.

I know I can't use the Dell serial number on a non Dell machine, but can I use the Dell disc and the original serial number?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Nope,

The Dell discs don't require the serial number putting in, and they only work on Dell machines.

I am pretty sure you can download the windows 7 install media from microsoft themselves. They are not fussed about the actual install media, as long as you have a "proper" activation key. The keys are 64/32 bit sensitive though.
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

Comment

The Acer recovery partition includes all the relevant drivers too like the mobo, vga etc. If you contact Acer, you may be able to order a replacement recovery disc for a fee. These systems that come with hidden recovery partitions are a pain unless you head off trouble ahead of time and burn the recovery information to a CD/DVD.

As Karma said, the Dell disc will only work on a dell machine. Both serial keys you have will only be useable on their respective systems (ie: his serial will only work on an Acer, and yours with a Dell)

HTH

Comment

The Acer serial is apparently a Retail one, so it'll work with any PC.

He's off to find a copy on the internet. If he can't, he'll buy a new copy tomorow.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I've had this before and successfully used other manufacturers keys, the serial on the bottom should be an OEM one, the dell disc should recognise its not a dell and ask for the key, use the key from acer and if it won't activate once installed ring Microsoft, its a freephone number and they will give you a different code to activate it. Just make sure you are using the same version of windows to what the key matches.

If not I have every version of windows on a flash drive, give me a shout and I'll post it up for you and you can post it back when your done.

Comment

I have a code for windows 7 professional if its any use
            well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

This may be of some use if anyone does not have the activation key for windows. I used this the other day on someones computer that they did not know what the key was. Worked brilliantly.

http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0...type=downloads

Nev

Comment

Let us know how you get on, my daughters Acer has the same problem.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

You may already have tried this in reaching the conclusion that the drive is completely dead but I had a similar problem recently and in an attempt to recover data from the drive I downloaded a utility from the hard drive manufacturer's web site and was amazed when it actually managed to repair the drive. According to their web site the majority of 'failed' drives are recoverable. To run the utility I had to attach the drive to another PC using a cheap USB hard drive enclosure. This was a Seagate drive but I think most manufacturers have similar utilities.

Comment

Working...
                  X