Clear All

"Raspberry pi"

Comment

You sneaky editor you!

Comment

Originally posted by JD_975 View Post
        "Raspberry pi"
        Thanks.

Do you know much about them? Done anything with them? A few of the guys at work bought them when they first came out, all excited about them, I never bothered as at the time other than a media PC for the TV I didn't really have any plans, but now the Trucks here thinking it might be something cool to look into.

Rog

Comment

Originally posted by JD_975 View Post
          You sneaky editor you!

Comment

Not wanting to teach Grannies to suck eggs but ABS isn't designed to stop the car any quicker, its just there to allow you to be able to steer when you hit the brakes hard and would other wise lock up your front wheels.

.....just saying for those that didn't know!

Comment

I used self adhesive motorbike/snow mobile handlebar grips! They are paper thin, and 12v.

Pop the glass out, stick them on, run the cables into the truck.

Unfortuately my digicam died when I tried to take pics for a nice step by step guide.

I was a little concerned at first that they might crack the glass, but they have been fine for a couple of years and a harsh winter!

For added geekery points they are wired into the rear window demister (I already said that) which is in turn wired into a temperature activated output on my remote start alarm... = if its cold enough and I remote start the rear window and mirrors are clear, when I get into my nice warm truck

I went a different route for A/V and got a double DIN alpine head unit, that was further enhanced with an iPod, bluetooth handsfree, and GPS/Sat nav, all controlled via the touch screen. There is also a Digital TV tuner, that is not touch screen controlled, (and I currently have to plug an antenna in, hence my interest in Vince's factory TV antenna)

I'm also an IT bod
              More Lift.
              More Tyres.
              More Engine.

Comment

Karma - Any chance you can dig me out a link of an example of the heated mirror stuff your talking about please? I've done some googling but not coming up with much. :/

I'm going to keep an eye on ebay and see what GPS/DVD double din stereos come up and maybe grab one of them, but I like the idea of a project, especially something I can do indoors as its starting to get cold and damp down this way.

As for the IT stuff, I'm only a programmer, Databases (SQL) to be precise, so not hardware side of things, but enjoy tinkering

Comment

Originally posted by cabbage View Post
                  Not wanting to teach Grannies to suck eggs but ABS isn't designed to stop the car any quicker, its just there to allow you to be able to steer when you hit the brakes hard and would other wise lock up your front wheels.
                  Yes everyone knows that, it's just a crap/dangerous system on a Surf.
                  I like to stop when I want not when the ABS 'thinks' it's OK to.

Comment

Originally posted by fsaroyster View Post
                    Karma - Any chance you can dig me out a link of an example of the heated mirror stuff your talking about please? I've done some googling but not coming up with much. :/
                    I thought being an I.T. bod you would know how to use a search engine?

Type: Heated mirrors into google and check out the 8th item down the page.
                    (mudstuff.co.uk)

Comment

Yeah sorry I found those the other day, and seemed interesting. But I couldn't find anything like what Karma was talking about, searching for "self adhesive motorbike/snow mobile handlebar grips" and the like, I came up with these, and just thought he must be talking about something else, unless I get a pair of these and cut them up?

http://www.hotgrips.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        Yes everyone knows that, it's just a crap/dangerous system on a Surf.
                        I like to stop when I want not when the ABS 'thinks' it's OK to.
                        Yer, just mentioning, I know a few people who didn't know. I also think it is a bit of a crap system on the Surf!

Comment

http://www.jrgraham.com/itemdetail.d...entCtg=7107862

Yes.

I am an I.T. bod too.
                          Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Originally posted by fsaroyster View Post
                            Thanks.

Do you know much about them? Done anything with them? A few of the guys at work bought them when they first came out, all excited about them, I never bothered as at the time other than a media PC for the TV I didn't really have any plans, but now the Trucks here thinking it might be something cool to look into.

Rog
                            I've not had the chance to mess with one yet but done a lot of reading about them, I've found a place that can do a controller board for a laptop LCD with hd input so I did have the idea of making an ultra slim arcade game type setup with emulators to run all the old arcade games, or doing something for the truck like a car PC with GPS, I'll find the time one day lol

Comment

Cheers Jimster - At least I know what I'm looking for now, had visions of me buying a set of heated bike grips and cutting them up :/

Must be some UK companies that sell something similar for motorbikes, don't imagine the snowmobile trade is that great here in the UK

JD_975 - The Arcade machine's a nice idea, I guess if I get round to doing something in car with a Pi I can always add MAME or whatever to the harddrive

Comment

Working...
                              X