Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine oils? Multi part Q's

A bit of a multi part question
    After using up my supply of Morris 15w40 diesel engine oil I have moved onto Castrol Magnetec 10w40.
    Now I don't know if it is a coincidence but I have just noticed a light haze from the exhaust which is obviously engine oil.I am hoping this is from the valve stem seals and not the piston rings.

Now for the questions;
    Would you think the change of oil could be the reason,not the "w" part,but the oil make up ie does the Morris oil have more sulphur in the oil helping to condition the valve stem seals?
    Or is it just likely to be the mileage on the motor which is nearing 200k?
    Has anyone had any positive results from the oil conditioners available claiming to rejuvenate oil seals?

Finally how much of a PITA is changing the valve stem seals and any other jobs I should consider carrying out whilst I am that deep in? ie shims....

Thanks
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Easy fix,
    Pick your tint to suit "light haze"...

et Voila!
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Keep in mind it has dropped a tad colder which does affect what you see out the tail pipe, obviously more condensation and also a little more light coloured smoke from start up as diesel doesn't burn effectively at low temps, the smoke your seeing could just be a coincidence given the drop in temps, poorly burnt diesel does have the lighter colour smoke and acrid smell of burnt oil (because it is oil) that a valve stem problem would give. If it was me I'd give it the chance to progress and see what happens, if it doesn't get worse leave it

Comment

And no, oil treatments do not work. Anything designed to prevent oil seepage will contain either surfactants to effectively thicken the oil and give it surface tension to prevent it from creeping or chemicals which attack the rubber seals, in the short term this will soften oil seals and make them plumper, in the long term it destroys every rubber seal in the engine

Comment

I already have the rear windows limo black but I saw the haze in the door mirrors would having the front windows tinted sort this?
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
            I already have the rear windows limo black but I saw the haze in the door mirrors would having the front windows tinted sort this?

save your cash & wear sunglasses

Comment

Working...
            X