Sponsorship request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponsorship request

Before you start, I know times are tough for lots of people. So if you feel you can't contribute, have things that you would rather contribute to, or just hate begging sponsorship type requests, then I completely understand. On the other hand if you reckon you could spare the cost of a pint or more or even less, then any contributions will be very much appreciated. Or if you think you know someone who might feel like putting their hand in their pocket - feel free to pass it on...

In about three weeks, I (along with a group of much fitter and more experienced friends) am about to attempt to climb Mount Kilimanjaro - the highest free standing mountain in the world. There are 19,341 feet of this absurdly high mountain. This is 18 times the height of Snowdon. That means that there is 18 times the need for a funicular railway to the top of the damn thing.

Unfortunately, I am told that no such railway presently exists. Since the chances of one being built in the next three weeks appear slight (though I have not yet given up hope), this means that I am faced with the wholly unpleasant prospect of having to clamber up the side of it. I have investigated the possibility of getting Lexurf VI out there, and it is a no go...

Those of you who know me will appreciate that there are a number of minor obstacles to this enterprise as follows:
    1) My life involves sitting at a desk;
    2) I have never climbed a mountain in my life;
    3) The only exercise I have done in the last 20 years is a bit of wake-boarding and the occasional walk from Waterloo to Chancery Lane, an exhausting 1.2m journey along perfectly flat paved roads;
    4) I have a fierce and marked aversion to any form of exercise which is either prolonged or involves walking or running.

I am told that on the mountain I am quite likely to suffer from some or all of the following symptoms: lack of appetite; nausea; vomiting; fatigue and weakness; dizziness and light-headedness; insomnia; pins and needles; shortness of breath upon exertion; nosebleeds; and persistent rapid pulse. Given that all these occurred when I ran 30 yards to catch a bus this morning, this seems feasible. What the effects of high altitude are likely to be goodness only knows.

You may well wonder in the circumstances why I am doing this. You may even assume that I must have been spectacularly drunk when I agreed to it. Such an allegation would be as outrageous as it is true.

However there is a second, and perhaps even more compelling reason, which is that by this climb (or in my case attempted climb) we are seeking to raise much-needed funds to provide medical aid for a community on a small, remote island called Pemba in Tanzania. Due to its remoteness, it’s a place that’s pretty much ignored by the big charities yet the people in the villages live barely above subsistence level and are in desperate need of help to improve their lives. Unusually for charities and African charities in particular 100% of the money raised goes to the project - there are NO admin charges or other hidden overheads. And I hope it goes without saying, but none of the money raised will be contributing to the trip or equipping the expedition.

Now I appreciate that many of you are bombarded with requests for sponsorship for all sorts of exploits, all of them very worthy. Why then should you contribute to this one? There are many reasons, all of them compelling. Here are just a few.
    1) Most sponsorship requests come from lycra-clad warriors embarking on a marathon through a desert or some such. Most of these people do not need encouragement - they actually enjoy the damn things. Some of them even go running, on purpose, for "fun". I on the other will get not a moment's pleasure from this - on the contrary I will suffer a great deal of pain over an extended period;
    2) I promise to wear no lycra at any stage - this itself is a worthy service to mankind;
    3) The more money that you all contribute, the less able I will feel to duck out of the whole ridiculous thing at the first rest stop and go the nearest shebeen until it is all over. So the more you pay, the more I will suffer. It really is a win win;
    4) I probably sponsored you. That is unless you didn't do anything for charity recently, in which case, be ashamed of yourselves and sponsor me;
    5) Altruism has been scientifically proved to increase your feelings of well-being. By scientists;
    6) You will be changing the lives of some incredibly brave, intelligent, funny, and sweet children for the better.

All in all then, you can make a positive difference to the lives of children AND a negative difference to the life of a lawyer. All it takes is a couple of minutes of your time, and a few pounds, or whatever you feel able to afford.

Anything you feel you can offer will be sincerely appreciated, and will make a big difference to someone to whom it means a great deal. To contribute please go to the website http://www.projectpemba.wordpress.com/, and click on How to Donate.

Thank you all!

flounderbout, aka Henry Sherpa* Ward

*the nickname, whilst entirely genuine, has nothing to do with the courageous Nepalese mountain folk, and everything to do with the crappy 1970's Leyland van.

Good on you son, best of luck.

It doesn't look too simple to donate money on that link, would be simpler to send paypal to your own address.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Hey Henry, good luck Buddy! It will be an amazing accomplishment for you and your cause.

Just think of the view you'll have when you get to the top

I'll send a few quid through with online banking.

As for the dessert, I'm running the 2014 Marathon des Sable but I promise there won't be any Lycra hanging off me

Comment

I thought that was a reasonably self deprocating post H...no wonder you lawyer types like being gagged and bound!
        I cannot donate via that page ..got annuver way?
        Last edited by gwh200; 5 October 2012, 19:28.
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
          So the more you pay, the more I will suffer.
          You had me at Suffer....

I'll also donate a scenic relaxing place for Lexurf XXX to go on holiday while you're away.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Henry ya have PM

11+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

You are fine fellows. Will sort out a PayPal link tomorrow since there seem to be issues with t'other. Many thank yous.
              And GBV8, you are a nutter.

Comment

So apparently making contributions via paypal is as simple as sending them to henry.ward@8newsquare.co.uk. Thanks those of you who have already offered something, and thanks in advance to anyone else who decides to.

Comment

Working...
                X