Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie - Scottish Borders

Hi Folks,
    Just bought myself a SSRX 3.0 1993 after years of having Land Rover defenders and series III.
    It's such a pleasure having a heater, no transmission noise and a vehicle that doesn't leak!
    Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm live in the Scottish Borders and will no doubt be bugging you guys with plenty questions!

Cheers,
    Grant.

Hello Grant. Welcome to the Forum. Where abouts in the borders are you? We've spent many happy times visiting and exploring the New Galloway Forest area, And then, further up and along the west coast. Haven't been up this year, though, and I've really missed it. Enjoy your new toy. I think that you will find that it compares favourably with those old "tractors" that you were used to.........Cheers....Mick.
    " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Thanks guys, not been long but loving it!
        I'm up around the peebles area.

Ok as promised here are the questions:

1)On reading up on the surf, there are a few that mention they are prone to head problems, was that more around the 2.4 rather than the 3.0?
        Is there any thing that can be done to help mitigate it?

2)The previous owner liked the idea of putting on a sports wheel, which seems more akin to being on a go-kart.
        Do like having a bigger wheel on a large 4x4 vehicle, have seen the original on ebay which seems fine, would you suggest this is as good as any to replace it with?

3)What is the small mirror on the wing all about?? ... don't see the point at all or am I missing something?

4) Mine has the option of norm and soft suspension setting, the norm seems really quite bouncey and the hard seems just about right. Is that correct or could my suspension be a bit tired?

5)As mine as the manual box there's a 4WD button on the 4x4 gearshift. Can you confirm that this can be pressed while rolling and what speeds are acceptable with this on. Also when it's in 4WD using the lever does this lock the diff and should only be used in snow, mud etc up to maybe 30mph?

6)Any other advice you can give re general care, maybe re oil change intervals etc that the surf like??

Ta in advance!

Comment

Welcome to the asylum - just remember that some of the people in white coats are inmates !

2.4's have had more head problems than 3.0's BUT that's to be expected as they're generally older and have done more miles - the best way to avoid problems is to ensure your cooling system is kept in tip top condition.

Steering wheel is personal preference

The little mirror is for parking - you can allegedly see the kerb (Most people ignore it and some just get rid)

Your suspension sounds like it's working the same as mine - my wife prefers it soft and I prefer it hard

You DON'T have a centre diff so only select 4WD when you're on the slippery stuff otherwise you'll get windup and risk damage. Not sure what the max speed for selecting 4WD is - personally I'd keep the speed low to avoid problems

Oil change at 5000km/3000 miles

I've gleaned all of the above from this site - I have no inherent knowledge (Apart from 22 years in the army teaching me that Lame Rovers are great toys in the mud but 'kin unreliable and uncomfortable)

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

hello from surrey borders

Comment

Hello from a bit further up the road

Comment

Hi n welcome I normally frequent your neck o' the woods n am having withdrawal symptoms as we haven't been able to make in the last 2 - 3 years

Enjoy ya stay here n ya Truck aswell

11+ Years of Surfs .... n Faultless to a " T " is my Yota
                Buncefield Burner

Comment

Hi

Hi there, glad you like the surf : im living in Edinburgh but am down in Galashiels most days if you have any questions ..... might be able to help
                  The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

Originally posted by wiggy View Post
                    Hi there, glad you like the surf : im living in Edinburgh but am down in Galashiels most days if you have any questions ..... might be able to help

Good to know, thanks mate

Comment

No probs Just ask for Rob Wiggins at the ACIO in Gala.

Enjoy your truck they dont make them that good any more!

Comment

Hey Grant dont see many surfs in Edinburgh but seen quite a few in the borders....i currently have one up for spares or repair with quite a few extras on it..know anyone that might be interested?

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by wiggy View Post
                          Hey Grant dont see many surfs in Edinburgh but seen quite a few in the borders....i currently have one up for spares or repair with quite a few extras on it..know anyone that might be interested?

Rob

Possibly ... is it 3.0? You say spares or repair what's up with it?

Comment

Originally posted by ScrappyG View Post
                            Possibly ... is it 3.0? You say spares or repair what's up with it?
                            Hi yea it is and not that much huge up with it really really just cant do the stuff i need to due to location and neighbours being arses..........but anyhow i digress.. Cant really afford to spend the money on it as i need to get the other tip top and would hate for anyone to buy it as a runner hence spares or repair to raise some cash to cover the work to the other..... All the ancils are fine i.e new starter,w.pump,tyres,wheels etc etc.

Here it is anyhow http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...624#post776624

Rob
                            Last edited by wiggy; 28 September 2012, 15:56.

Comment

Working...
                            X