Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.7L 3rd Gen petrol ?!?! & self SVAing

Looking at a "2.7L" 3rd gen
    (I think it's 3rd gen - 1996 - or would that be 4th ?)

It's got 9 months MOT left, but needs SVAing & registering etc. CLICKY

Not seen a 2.7 petrol mentioned before, so wondered what you guys think ?

Plus how straight forward is SVAing it myself - not very mechanically minded, but can hopefully follow a Haynes manual. Does it cost much ?

Or should I steer well clear ?

Advice very welcome.

Ta,
    Roy

Originally posted by ozzig
    Looking at a "2.7L" 3rd gen
    (I think it's 3rd gen - 1996 - or would that be 4th ?) Correct 3rd gen.

It's got 9 months MOT left, but needs SVAing & registering etc. CLICKY

Strange why they Mot'd it and never sold it.
    Not seen a 2.7 petrol mentioned before, so wondered what you guys think ?

Should be ok, other members on here have them.

Plus how straight forward is SVAing it myself - not very mechanically minded, but can hopefully follow a Haynes manual. Does it cost much ?

If your not good with the spanners get some one to do it for you, do a search on Google for SVA testing places near you.

Or should I steer well clear ?

If you get it at that price it should be ok.

Advice very welcome.

Ta,
    Roy

Comment

Roy,
      Just a little thought, i'm sure this car was on E-bay about 4 to 6 weeks ago, being sold by the same company.

At the time Andy & I had posts ( on the forum ) on how the MOT had been carried out before the SVA - ESVA, I thought the SVA / ESVA had to be done before a MOT, and i was wrong.

But i'm neraly sure its the same Surf ??????????????

Sewerat Bob
      [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

They don't have a clean feedback record from eBay, they could be honest. I would ask them a series of questions like:

Is the vehicle you are selling the one pictured? Has it been in any accidents? Ask for photo's of any scratches, what state is the interior in?
        and as many other questions that will uncover the details and history of it as you can think of?

If they are slow to respond you will know there is something fishy.

In mu opinion it is dodgy because without a registration it could be stolen, an HPI check won't show up a thing.

Also wait till the last minutes of the auction for doing anything, you will only push up the price by bidding now.

I hope that helps,
        Naomi
        Naomi
        AKA - Mamadwyvin
        www.greenhands.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by mamadwyvin
          In mu opinion it is dodgy because without a registration it could be stolen, an HPI check won't show up a thing.
          Naomi
          Ask them if they will supply a BIMTA Certificate of Authenticity http://www.bimta.org/CertificatesofAuthenticity.asp

Comment

Bimta

My god - i wish I had known about that, am now terrified I have a HOT BEAST in the workshop ! Moral dilemma, do I apply the Osterich (sp?) technique or brave it out?
            Naomi
            AKA - Mamadwyvin
            www.greenhands.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the advice - I do like the BIMTA certificate - didn't know that kind of thing existed.

I'm tempted to pop over to Bolton at the weekend to see what the operation's like. The Surf does look good (tho' not my first choise of colour, or second, or third)

Couldn't find any comments about the on t'internet about them - don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

I found a place near Castle Donnington that'd take an import SVA,MOT & register it then give it you back - now looking for the equivalent a bit nearer home.

I'll post if I get chance for that visit.

Comment

Thanks for the advice - I do like the BIMTA certificate - didn't know that kind of thing existed.

I'm tempted to pop over to Bolton at the weekend to see what the operation's like. The Surf does look good (tho' not my first choise of colour, or second, or third)

Couldn't find any comments about the on t'internet about them - don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

I found a place near Castle Donnington that'd take an import SVA,MOT & register it then give it you back - now looking for the equivalent a bit nearer home.

I'll post if I get chance for that visit.
                If it is not your first choice I would advise you to bide your time. There are loads more Surfs around now than there were a year or so ago, some of a very high spec. If you are after a particular colour or spec it will be out there. Don't rush into anything.

Happy hunting.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                  If it is not your first choice I would advise you to bide your time. There are loads more Surfs around now than there were a year or so ago, some of a very high spec. If you are after a particular colour or spec it will be out there. Don't rush into anything.

Happy hunting.
                  I'd love an all black or black over silver, rear spolier with fancy reversing mirror, 3ltr TD. Preferably with the recaros in

But if it was a genuine bargain I'd be happy to drive a second choice for 6-12 months whilst looking for my first choice.
                  Plus as and when I get the OK to have it as a company car replacment (don't get me started on that one!) I would need something sorted before the end of the year, and these import things can take time.

Comment

I'd love an all black or black over silver, rear spolier with fancy reversing mirror, 3ltr TD. Preferably with the recaros in

But if it was a genuine bargain I'd be happy to drive a second choice for 6-12 months whilst looking for my first choice.
                    Plus as and when I get the OK to have it as a company car replacment (don't get me started on that one!) I would need something sorted before the end of the year, and these import things can take time.
                    If you fancy a black one then this one is really nice :
                    http://www.mackaytrading.co.uk/fullv...cial=&RSpage=5
                    I have seen it and it looks really good, only 36,000 miles and some service history, and a nice alpine Stereo. If this was at the dealers when I got mine I would have probably gone for this one.
                    Last edited by Rixtar; 26 August 2004, 12:15.

Comment

It looks the dingo's danglies, but out of my price range - hence why I was considering the non-SVAd DIY job. - The creamy one in Bolton is a 1996 amd I was estimating £4895 to buy and about £500-600 to get it SVAd.

Comment

Marky don't suppose, being local-ish like me, you've heard any comments about this Bolton outfit, says they've been going for 15 years. But I can't find any comments good or bad about them (except eBay feedback.)

Comment

Not heard of them before, but theres plenty of surf places about im not happy with the MOT bit & no SVA.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Rixtar
                            If you fancy a black one then this one is really nice :
                            http://www.mackaytrading.co.uk/fullv...cial=&RSpage=5
                            I have seen it and it looks really good, only 36,000 miles and some service history, and a nice alpine Stereo. If this was at the dealers when I got mine I would have probably gone for this one.
                            Well overpriced for an M reg SURF They even want silly monet for a Jreg 2.4 £7K
                            Last edited by marky; 26 August 2004, 20:09.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                            (")_(")

Comment

Marky, cheers for the PM, I'll pay them a visit. Hoping to get the OK from work next month

Comment

Working...
                              X